Problem accessing internet from client pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get this straight, from the 1.3 IP address you cannot type 'ping 192.168.1.2' and get a good response? Try this and also open up internet explorer and type this in the address bar:

\\192.168.1.2\

Click go or hit enter and see if you get any results.

-Mike

Hi Mike- please see my comments:
Let me get this straight, from the 1.3 IP address you cannot type 'ping 192.168.1.2' and get a good response? -that's correct, it is timed out

Try this and also open up internet explorer and type this in the address bar: \\192.168.1.2\ - I get Windows cannot find 192.168 error

I can access the internet though from this pc but unable to see host pc in workgroup.

The network is clearly working because if I use automatic addresses (which gives 169.254...) I can access shared files. Why can't both internet and file sharing work together?

Ok, lets try with the hardware setup. Can you please post as much as you can (make and model is fine) of each piece of hardware that you have. Start with how you connect to the internet from the host PC (dial-up modem, DSL, etc) Then post the make/model of the wireless router and network cards that you have in place as well. I think I know what's shakin' down here.

-Mike

In short, your IP routes are changing when you are connecting to the internet through the PPP address. You'll have to set your host to not use the default gateway of the remote connection once you are connected. But rather than jump to conclusions, post your hardware setup and we'll go from there. Also, what steps do you take to get to the internet from the host PC?

-Mike

Host PC set up:
BT ADSL Speedtouch modem
BT Openworld ISP - connect by dial-up
Network Cards - AirPlus Wireless Network DWL-520+
No wireless router - using Internet Connection Sharing

Can you explain what I need to do here please - 'set your host to not use the default gateway of the remote connection once you are connected'

Thanks.

Ok, try this.
On the Host PC...
Goto Start > Settings > Network and Dial-Up connections > and right click on the dialup connection for your internet and choose properties.
Then goto the networking tab and choose the TCP/IP protocol and choose properties. Click the advanced button. Is the option bit for "Use Default Gateway on Remote Network" checked?

-Mike

Uncheck it and then reboot the host and the other PC. Try your dial up connection again (making sure that it is not checked). See if you can now access both the internet and the local network from the other PC.

-Mike

Have unchecked it and rebooted both pcs. Can access the internet from both pcs but still NOT able to view the network pcs - error message 'MSHOME is unavailable.

When I ping ipconfig /all from host I get
D-Link AirPlus ..Wireless Adapter
Dhcp Enabled .. Yes
Autoconf Enabled ..Yes
Autoconfig IP address ..198.168.1.2
Subnet Mask .. 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: blank

PPP Adapter:
Description:
Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled: No
IP Address: 81.132.28.42
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 81.132.28.42
DNS Servers: 213.1.119.103

Pretty frustrated!

I realy doubt that this will work but try placing the IP address of the host computer in the hosts file of the client.
On the client, goto C:\WINNT (or WINDOWS for XP) \SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC There will be a file in there called 'hosts'. Open this file in Notepad and there should be a sample loopback address there "127.0.0.1".
Type in "192.168.1.2 and then the name of the host computer"
So, the IP address of the host, two or three spaces and then the name of the host computer. Save the file and then reboot just the client and try again.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom