Problem accessing internet from client pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigh

Baseband Member
I can share files/ folders when TCP/IP settings are set to Obtain an IP address automatically but can't access the internet from client pc (the addresses are 169.254... for both host and client pc). When TCP/IP settings are manually configured (192.168...) I can't access shared files from both pcs nor internet from client pc. Using Win XP pro and internal wireless network cards (d-link air plus). Hoping someone can help!

I have a D-Link as well, but i have windows me; anyhoo have you tried the 192.168.1.1 in the adress bar and made sure that the client pc is in the same SSID and Channel, you can check this by using the little bars in the lower right of the desktop ( you should have those if you are using d-link). Go to the host pc and tyep 192.168.1.1 or whatever the internal ip for that pc is, type admin as the password, and then check everything there. now leaving that open go to the client pc and double click on the 4-bars that should be in the lower right, go to site survey and then click 'add' set everything up and make sure that the channel and the SSID are the same on both pc's. Click 'apply' then click on the 'connect button' go to 'link info' there should soon be two bars that have and orange/yellow color to them, try to get on the internet then.

Did you properly configure your static IP addresses with the correct settings?

Here is how it should go...

1) You make up your IP address ( 169.254... ) - Done

2) You make your subnet mask (which according to your IP class and numbers should be 255.255.255.0)

3)Make sure your default gateway is set to your router's IP address (Which I believe is 192.168.1.1)

Once you have these three entered you will be able to connect to network.

Double-check your default gateway address, it might be different. Usually it is the same IP address you type in your web browser to get to your routers setup page.

If youwould like to use static address then you will also have to enter in you DNS addresses. The easiest thing to do is to set one of the PCs to obtain an IP automatically from the DHCP server (your router) and connect to the internet. After you are connected goto a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". When you hit enter, all of your IP/gateway/DNS information will be listed. Copy the IP/subnet mask/gateway/DNS information down. Then just use static addressing and be sure to enter in a vaid IP range for both computers. Use 192.168.1.2 for one of the PCs and then 192.168.1.3 for the other one. You'll have the same subnet mask, gateway, primary DNS and secondary DNS for both PCs.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
If youwould like to use static address then you will also have to enter in you DNS addresses. The easiest thing to do is to set one of the PCs to obtain an IP automatically from the DHCP server (your router) and connect to the internet. After you are connected goto a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". When you hit enter, all of your IP/gateway/DNS information will be listed. Copy the IP/subnet mask/gateway/DNS information down. Then just use static addressing and be sure to enter in a vaid IP range for both computers. Use 192.168.1.2 for one of the PCs and then 192.168.1.3 for the other one. You'll have the same subnet mask, gateway, primary DNS and secondary DNS for both PCs.

-Mike

Good Tip!!

Can't forget abou DNS!

struggling

thanks for all your suggestions. However, I'm still having problems! File sharing works perfectly when IP settings are found automatically (IP addresses of 169.254.. for both pcs). When I change these to static addresses of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 I get a reply when pinging from host pc but timed out from client pc - therefore the network doesn't work (no file sharing and no internet). This is driving me craxy. What addresses should be entered for gateway, primary and alternate DNS on host pc and also on client pc

I've finally got internet access from both pcs - using static addresses 192.168.1.2 and ..1.3 with the default gateway using the IP address of the host pc ... BUT I now am unable to share files. Neither pc can view workgroup computers. What do I need to do now to view shared files? I can ping from the host but not from the client. And yet the client is finding the internet - I'm very puzzled and frustrated. Would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks in anticipation.

tigh said:
I've finally got internet access from both pcs - using static addresses 192.168.1.2 and ..1.3 with the default gateway using the IP address of the host pc ... BUT I now am unable to share files. Neither pc can view workgroup computers. What do I need to do now to view shared files? I can ping from the host but not from the client. And yet the client is finding the internet - I'm very puzzled and frustrated. Would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hmm.. Interesting, You setup the static IP addresses and it only works when you use the host pc as a default GW?

Here is a question, when the PC is setup to DHCP, what is the def. gateway??? You can do a "ipconfig /all" and see what the default gateway, subnet mask and DNS server IP address.

All you have to do is make sure that your static IP address have the same DNS, def. gateway and subnet mask and you should be ready to.

Also... do you have Zone Alarm?? or NIS?? If you do have a software firewall installed, remember to add the new static IP address (or the range) to your trusted zone. Even if everything is working fine, if you don't do this, you won't be able to share files between the computers.

Here are my settings on host pc:
D-Link AirPlus ..Wireless Adapter
Dhcp Enabled .. Yes
Autoconf Enabled ..Yes
Autoconfig IP address ..198.162.1.2
Subnet Mask .. 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: blank

PPP Adapter:
Description:
Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled: No
IP Address: 81.129.161.132
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 213.1.119.103
DNS Servers: 213.1.119.104

I am using Norton Firewall and the IP addresses 192.168.1.2 ..3 have been added to the trusted zone. I am using Internet Connection Sharing.

the settings on the client pc are

Autoconfig IP address ..198.162.1.3
Subnet Mask .. 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 198.162.1.2

Hopefully you can tell me where the problem lies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom