Printing from remote desktop to local printer issue

ittech

Beta member
Hello,

If a computer is connected via remote desktop to another network, can they access the devices on their local network if they have those devices' IP addresses?

More specifically, I am connected via remote desktop to another network and using one of the software/services provided by that institution. I want to print a document from the software I am using to a local printer. That printer is not listed on the list of devices I can print to.

Should it be listed?

If it is not listed, can I install it?, Would I need admin access for this?

Thank you

Is the printer on the network of the host (the system you're remoted into), or on the network that you're currently connected to?

If it's on the host network, then if the printer was added to the system then yes you should be able to see it.

If the printer is on your (the client) network, then no, you wouldn't see the printer listed on the host machine.

Remote Desktop client has the ability to share local resources with the Host. When you first bring up RDC, prior to connecting, click on the Show Options link at the bottom of the dialog to expand the dialog. On the expanded dialog, go to the Local Resources tab and you will be able to share local drives, audio, printers and other local resources with the host computer.

Remote Desktop client has the ability to share local resources with the Host. When you first bring up RDC, prior to connecting, click on the Show Options link at the bottom of the dialog to expand the dialog. On the expanded dialog, go to the Local Resources tab and you will be able to share local drives, audio, printers and other local resources with the host computer.

Didn't know that until now; good to know.

Back
Top Bottom