pppoe, pppoa, dhcp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedude

Baseband Member
ok i figured out my router isnt assigning an ip address to my laptop through dhcp. Before changing it to assign through dhcp could i just change my laptop to recieve ip addresses through pppoa which is what my router is set on.

The thing is im afraid that im going to mess up the internet if i change it to dhcp and i dont know much about all this stuff and how to fix it if it does mess up.

even if u use pppoe or oa on the wan side, you can still enable dhcp on the lan side.and it probably is enabled already.

your network does not use PPPoA or PPPoE, these are protocols used by your ISP and are converted to ethernet frames by your router/modem before they enter your network.

If you are in the UK and using ADSL then you sould be using PPPoA, unless you are with NTL in which case it may be PPPoE.

If you are elsewhere then it is probably PPPoE you want to be using.

Your routher should have a built in DHCP server which will assign IP addresses to your computers on your network. Make sure that your DHCP server is set to assign a large enough range of IP addresses for the number of computers on the network.

You do seem a tad confused in what you are asking so fire back any other questions you have, but basically you want to enable dhcp on your router - your ISP has assigned an IP address to your router, it is down to your router to assign Ip addresses to any computers plugged into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom