power over ethernet; for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
Exactly. I read in some article that PoE is especially useful when you are adding something to a network and a power source is otherwise unavailable, or too far away and therefore impractical.

Kmote's example of a security camera is one such case - it needs power, so it is sent to the camera via the PoE cable which takes advantage of literally sending power to the camera over the same cable. Of course, for PoE to work, both the device (the camera) and the medium (cable) have to be PoE-capable.

I use POE in my network, these AP's are in the warehouse about 50 feet high where no power is present. Very nice feature to have.

Well what happens when youre in a double brick building and its insulated with a material with metalic lining? Wireless sure aint gonna work, so just grab a kit and problem solved.

Right, but PoE isn't always wireless. Osiris was just giving an example of PoE in a wireless setting I do believe.

I use POE in my network, these AP's are in the warehouse about 50 feet high where no power is present. Very nice feature to have.

Although our AP's aren't 50 feet high, it's still a beeyotch to climb up and run power to them. Or... you know... I could just put an end on the cat 5e cable and call it a day with POE. ;)

Although our AP's aren't 50 feet high, it's still a beeyotch to climb up and run power to them. Or... you know... I could just put an end on the cat 5e cable and call it a day with POE. ;)

So you climb up the poles? :silly:

I use the scissor lift :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom