Possible Windows XP Profile Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Artagnan1673

Baseband Member
Here is my scenario.

I have a physical network that is subnetted into two separate subnets. They are .10 and .32. Here is my situation.

subnets 10 and 32 do not communicate with each other. I'm not a router person so I haven't been able to fix this myself. I've been having problems getting the vendors to fix this as I've got 'bigger fish to fry' besides this one issue.

I have a Win XP Pro unit that is a member of Domain A which is on the 10 subnet. This particular unit also needs to be able to see Sever B on the 32 subnet. In my infinite free time, I figured out a quick fix for this somewhat difficult situation. Since Server B runs NetBEUI, I'll just configure NetBEUI on this Windows XP unit. Here is the crazy part.

The user's account can browse the NT 4.0 Domain that Server B is the PDC of. This account can see other machines on this domain, however, the account cannot see Server B!! The account has local administartive priviledges. If I log into my Domain Admin account, I can see this renegade server. If the user logs into the local machines domain under the local administrator, the user can see Server B. Other XP Pro machines in the same department that should have identical configurations to my crazy one can see Server B while logged into their domain user account.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

do I need to clarify anything, or is this problem too particular to a foreign environment that I am the only one who can solve this?

You are hitting on a couple of issues here,, however to do the math on the subnets you need to provide more info,, AND-ing the subnets will let you know if you are ABLE to see each other,, but so will subnet Mask,, plus ,,knowing the increment would really help to..

further,, what are your network bits? are we dealing with an internal scope,, etc,, or is this a registed A,B, C, class range?

What are your Network settings? are the PCs in the same domain,, workgroup,,etc,, do you have a DNS for NAT?

all these things help,,,

this is a great question,, just need more info to work it out,,

cheers,

Additionally,, you may have user account permission issues,,

Do you have any Group Policy in place?

cheers,

Hey CrashAbbot,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this issue.

These are internal, 172.16.10.x and 172.16.32.x subnets. Its not the subnet mask or anything like that. They both use a class C mask. The problem with the 32 subnet is that its routed really crazy. We have a 33 subnet at another campus. The 32 subnet is actually supposted to be the WAN link between the 33 router and my main router. All I know is that until I can get my router vendors to fix this, they don't like to communicate. Its only through the NetBEUI protocol that these two units can see themselves.

The PC is in a Win2k Domain, and the server is in a NT 4.0 Domain. We do use DNS.

As to group policies.... not yet. I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of a 2000/XP network environment. With all my other duties, I just try to wing it most of the time :)

Like I said, the user's domain account cannot see tjhe server. However, the account CAN see the domain and other machines in the domain. I tried making the user's account a member of various administrative groups such as administrators, domain and enterprise administrators for troubleshooting purposes. None of these works. 3 other users have this same setup and same group membership and they have no problem seeing this server over NetBEUI. If I log into the local domain under Admin, I can see the server.

Hope this helps. Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom