Is it possible to "schedule" connection sessions with DSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
I'm not too sure if this is possible, but I thought I'd ask around anyway.

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3 with DSL through a wired router. What I'd like to do is set a schedule that would only allow internet access for a limited amount of time in a day. (Say 5:00am to 11:00pm) For the rest of the period the connection would be inactive or inaccessible -- So as to control internet activity of certain persons in the household! :devil:

Does anyone know of any software or even hardware that would have this function?

Vista and Windows 7 come with something call parental control, which would allow you to control this. As for Windows XP you could use a 3rd party vendor like netnanny.

Some routers come with the capability to only allow internet access during certain periods of time - check in your router settings.

go into the router config pg and look for QoS

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what that means! Sorry, I'm still a newbie in a few areas. Could you expand on that?

Also, what I should have asked beforehand was if anyone knew of any FREE software or tools that would allow this operation. (I'm always willing to pay for a good program, but if there's a decent freeware alternative I try to save money if I can.)

It does not support QoS.

Options:
Get a real router.
pay for a subscription to Net Nanny or the like.
Get a timer to turn off power to the router. Unless is handles VoIP as well.
Unplug network cables at night.
Not positive if this will work on xp home but you can try to set up accounts for the children and set active times for it. Windows XP Common Issues > Controlling User Logon Hours You would of course password protect your account and not give the children admin privileges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom