Is it possible to create a mobile hotspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1337MoneySiphon

Solid State Member
Hey whats up guys, first post :p Nice site, lots of good info! :)

I have the working framework of a theorem in my head and i need some help fleshing it out and figuring out if it is plausible.

I need some input on the feasibility of creating a mobile hotspot using: a wireless broadband router with WPA2 encryption, a highspeed wireless mobile broadband card (EV-DO or equivalent), and 1 or more laptops.

Now i am sure that by this time you are asking "why would you want to create a hotspot when you already have internet access?" Well basically the hotspot would be setup to use a WiFi phone. Im sure your next question would be "why not use a cellphone" the obvious answer is that i dont want to use a cellphone. I want to use this setup to create a hotspot, of course the setup could only be run where the EV-DO card worked but that is not a problem for this particular application. Also power supply for the wireless router is not an issue as i have an outlet in my Hummer, which is where this setup would be based. A setup like this (if possible) isnt "off the grid" or anything but it clearly offers better security than your standard issue cellphone. As it stands right now i have to hang around public hotspots to use the phone, which works well enough but sometimes i need more privacy than public hotspots offer.

I have been running this through my head 1000 different ways and i cant seem to figure out exactly how this could be done. To me atleast it seems that some sort of software (blackware) would have to be used; but i am hopeful that somebody here can offer an alternative method that i am overlooking.

Never tried this but it may work:
1) Connect to the Internet on the laptop with the card.
2) Connect the lan port of the laptop with a cat5(may need to be crossover) to the wan port of the wireless router.
3) Go to properties of laptop lan and choose to share connection.
4) Bridge connection between laptop broadband card and laptop lan in network config.
5) Give it a go!
This seems like it may work because ICS on the laptop's lan will start dhcp which the router will use to get it's info from the bridge connection(hopefully) and then pass it out to the world...Mwahaha! Gotta admit that this would be a cool project to try. You may also need to try to play with the whole ICS thing. It may need to go onto the card instead of the lan and hope the bridge carries it.
Good Luck! Let me know how it goes, or if you need any more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom