Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzaguy

Baseband Member
Ok guys, so here's the deal and before I start I know have been posting alot in the network part with various problems but I need to get my connection sorted. Here is my setup - Modem/router with internet connection that transmits a wireless signal throughout my house which is picked up by a laptop, then it has an ethernet lead going out from it that goes to a hub/switch which is then divided in 2. One for my brother's PC and one for mine. I have an iPod touch which is out of range of the router and moving it closer is not an option.

So, could I take an ethernet cable coming from my hub and put it in a router that transmits signal so that my iPod touch can pick it up? Bearing in mind the hub is alot closer to my PC and that is where I'd be using my iPod touch online.

Thanks V. much I know this has been a long and confusing post.

Wow... that's Ãœber complicated. I assume you're just trying to get your Touch online?

The simplest thing to do would be to move the first wireless router closer to everything.

Is it one of those newfangled combo-boards which is both the modem and WAP? I think that's such a bad idea. I mean it's a good idea... and a bad idea. They always go with the lowest bidder so those things are worthless. My friend has one and it has literally like a 20 foot radius.

Worst case scenario, just run a wire directly from the modem to an independent wireless router which is closer to what you're doing. That way you'll have the wire connections for the PC's plus a WAP with plenty of signal. All you need to be is a Cat 5e cable and a WAP.

Option 1 is a no, my dad uses it far away so I cannot bring it closer. I think I will replace the hub which splits wired connections, with a router that can divide wired connections in half and transmit a wireless signal? Is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom