Is it possible to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzimmerlin

Beta member
Is it possible for a computer to use both a wired and wireless connection simultaneously for two different things. I'd like to use the wireless connection on my computer for internet access, and the wired connection for sharing files. Is this possible?

i would like to know this too.
could it also increase your overall internet speed?

I'm actually not trying to connect to the internet using both connections, just the wireless connection.

This technically is possible, but normally you would use the router as the medium for both computers. @ben_ben, this doesn't increase the internet speed because the ISP can only give you so much throughput and bandwidth. Connecting a computer to another and a router won't affect anything. You just need two NIC's. One is used for sharing and the other is for internet. The sharing computer can even borrowing internet from the middle computer.

Is it possible for a computer to use both a wired and wireless connection simultaneously for two different things. I'd like to use the wireless connection on my computer for internet access, and the wired connection for sharing files. Is this possible?

Yes, of course you can do this. The best and most efficient way to do this is to assign IP address to both of you network cards (wired and wireless).

What OS are you using on this computer?

Wireless: Since this is the one you wish to connect to the internet with, get connected to the net first ... then open up a "cmd" prompt and type the following: "ipconfig /all". You should get a listing for BOTH network adapters. Copy down the IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS addresses for the WIRELESS connection.
Then, simply go into the wireless connection and add the same values that you copied down in their appropriate places.

Wired: First i'll ask the obvious ... how is this wired card, well, wired? Are you going straight through to the other computer? using a hub or switch? gateway/router? Please explain. In any event, all you need to make an identity for this wired connection to share files is to assign an IP address and a Subnet Mask ... let's keep it simple (IP address=10.10.10.10 Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0) Then, the computers that you wish to share files with MUST be associated on the same network (like IP addresses) such as 10.10.10.11, 10.10.10.12 whatever.....

The point i'm trying to get across here is that your computer will not try and access the internet on a network adapter that does not have a gateway address assigned to it.....hence why you leave a gateway address out of the picture on the wired card.

Ok, if they are connecting to the same piece of hardware (wireless gateway/router with 4 wired ports) then you may want to approach this using a slightly different method.

If you use the same IP address schematic for both cards on the computer in question (wireless=192.168.1.100 and wired=192.168.1.101) and then have a networked computer using 192.168.1.102 that you would like to share files with......then, I'm afraid your computer will use whatever method it can to try and speak to the other computers.

The key is separate the networks...

I'm using Windows XP Home, and the other device will be an Apple TV. I haven't decided how I'm going to connect them. If it's possible, I'd like to directly connect the computer to the Apple TV using an ethernet cable. But, if that's not possible, I could buy another router. I also have a bunch of extra switches lying around, would those work?

Well, an Apple TV is sort of like a Linksys Media Adapter right? Movies and Music on your TV or whatever? Anyway, I'm 100% sure I understand how those work.... Ok, so Ethernet is Ethernet is those two devices.... So, a straight cable will work from each device to a switch OR a crossover cable will work between them too.

Give the apple device an IP address of the same scheme as your wired card. Even if you plug them into a router, the portion which you are plugging them into is a switch, only difference is that you won't be connecting to the net, which isn't necessary anyway. You may also use a switch or hub....doesn't matter. Any of those 4 methods will work:
Computer -> Apple TV
Computer -> Hub -> Apple TV
Computer -> Switch -> Apple TV
Computer -> Router's Switch -> Apple TV

Honestly, if you have switches laying around....use one of them.

Sure, no problem

You can use a crossover Ethernet cable. I don't think that the apple TV has crossover sensing abilities and I'm not going to assume that your wired card in your computer does either. You can either MAKE a crossover cable using a straight one along with an extra RJ-45 end and a crimping/cutting tool (I can walk you through it) or....just buy a crossover cable at your nearest store that might sell them (Best Buy, Compusa, Radio Shack, etc)

Actually, I do already know how to make a crossover cable. I just got inot making my own ethernet cables. Finally, that skill comes in handy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom