port forwarding possible on a CDMA based modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenesis

Beta member
Im from India, and I use a USB modem "ZTE AC8700" based on EV-DO with my desktop pc running on Win VISTA (x86) for connecting to the internet. I usually donot get good speeds while torrenting (normally does not exceed 15kB/s), although the network is usually functioning around a speed of 512kb/s and I get good browsing speeds. Since this is a modem, and not a router, there does not seem to be anything such as port forwarding defined with my configuration. So, is there any way achieving higher speeds in torrents by defining a port, or to open a port manually, so that other peers can directly connect? I do know the basic rules of torrenting, and speeds can dramatically vary from torrent to torrent, and have read articles on port forwarding, but these donot seem to apply to my case. For example, I cannot set the subnet mask and a default gateway, hence no way to setup a static IP, prerequisite for hardware-based portforwarding :confused::(. (It also seems that my ISP uses a shared external IP over the EV-DO network, if this is of any importance. Also my ISP's EV-DO connection supports speeds upto 2.5Mb/s, but I dont get above 0.5Mb/s, due to lack of a strong network.) So any recommendations guys? Also the modem works by setting up a virtual connection over LAN by driver level modifications, so I also want to know whether the system will distinguish an actual LAN (physical) from the internet connection via the USB modem, and whether there is any chance of conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom