Port Forwarding/increase utorrent speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathville

In Runtime
I'm having trouble port forwarding for utorrent. I HAVE visited PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model and followed the directions associated with my router (2wire 2701HG-G) but whenever I check with utorrent, it always comes up with an error, saying "Port 47534 does not appear to be open."

Any ideas?

On a related topic, how do I increase the download speeds of utorrent? I only get 32 out of 292 seeds on this one torrent, and a download speed of around 10 kB/s (upload speed of 25 kB/s). I'm running a 1-2 Mbit connection, speed tests averaging around 1.6. Any ideas on how I can speed it up?

Make sure that you open the port on your PC as well, add it in your firewall allow list.

It's strange your dl speed is so slow. Most torrents will limit your downloads to match your uploads though, so if your connection can only upload slowly, your downloads will suffer too.

We don't allow discussions on torrenting here, but we can discuss clients and ports. ;)

Check your firewall. The default Windows firewall may be on and blocking you. Also, make sure your modem is set as "passthrough" or "ethernet bridge" mode. many ISP supplied modems are also routers (with only a single output) and can mess up forwarding ports.

You could always set uTorrent to a different port, too.

There's not much you can do about what seeds you connect to. Getting your ports forwarded will help things along, but only up to a certain point. If you are running an IP blocker program it can lower the number of seeds, but only because it winnows out the bogus ones.

If anything else is using your bandwidth it will cut into your potential download speeds as well. Make sure that someone or something is not knocking you down before you get all up in arms.

Make sure that you open the port on your PC as well, add it in your firewall allow list.

It's strange your dl speed is so slow. Most torrents will limit your downloads to match your uploads though, so if your connection can only upload slowly, your downloads will suffer too.
I got a program, Greedy Torrent for that. However it seems redundant considering my upload speed is about 15 kB/s higher than my download anyway.
We don't allow discussions on torrenting here, but we can discuss clients and ports. ;)

Check your firewall. The default Windows firewall may be on and blocking you. Also, make sure your modem is set as "passthrough" or "ethernet bridge" mode. many ISP supplied modems are also routers (with only a single output) and can mess up forwarding ports.

You could always set uTorrent to a different port, too.

There's not much you can do about what seeds you connect to. Getting your ports forwarded will help things along, but only up to a certain point. If you are running an IP blocker program it can lower the number of seeds, but only because it winnows out the bogus ones.

If anything else is using your bandwidth it will cut into your potential download speeds as well. Make sure that someone or something is not knocking you down before you get all up in arms.
Well I'm using Mcafee firewall, not the Windows firewall, and I've allowed utorrent full access.

Yeah, my router is an ISP provided one and it is indeed, a modem/router combined. Can I still use this and forward ports?

I'm betting absolutely 100% your isp throttles p2p.

One of the isps around me does this. I guess at about 2am, people can watch their d/l go from like 20kbs to like 200 in the switch.

My isp throttles uploads... Makes maintaining ratios very difficult.... But thats not port forwarding....

I'm betting absolutely 100% your isp throttles p2p.

One of the isps around me does this. I guess at about 2am, people can watch their d/l go from like 20kbs to like 200 in the switch.

My isp throttles uploads... Makes maintaining ratios very difficult.... But thats not port forwarding....

That happened to me! I woke up and checked it around 6:45 am and it was at 144 kBs! but that lasted only for about an hour...

Anyway i can get the ISP not to throttle it?

EDIT: Yeah you're right, my ISP does throttle p2ps cause it limits BitTorrent bandwidth. It's Bell Sympatico. http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs#Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom