Port Forwarding...(aka: Frustration 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipeks

In Runtime
Ok. Before anyone posts links to other Tech-Forums posts about this, just be warned, I HAVE read them all. Yes, all regarding port forwarding for a web server....

nothing has helped!

I have followed this guide...

http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-604-portforwarding.htm

But to no avail.

I have set up IIS to run a web server on a second PC. The second PC has the IP of 192.168.0.102. I have followed the directions in the above link and still cannot access my website from an external computer.

Whenever I type in my ISP IP, I get "Gateway Timeout Server Unreachable"

I can see the site if I type in my private 192... ip.

What Am i doing wrong?

best thing to do is contact ur isp and ask them about ur ip address
i had a similar problem because my dynamic ip address wasnt in the range of what the router need it to be in, so its best to take it up with ur isp

what kind of router is this? After setting up port fowarding on the router are you sure you configured that port on the local machine?

NewCents05:

What do you mean "wasnt in the range" ?

Win2kpatcher:

It is a D-Link DI-604. The forwarding instructions are in the link I posted. As for configuring the port on my local machine, I set the port as 80 in IIS, is that what you mean?

eipeks said:
NewCents05:

What do you mean "wasnt in the range" ?

Win2kpatcher:

It is a D-Link DI-604. The forwarding instructions are in the link I posted. As for configuring the port on my local machine, I set the port as 80 in IIS, is that what you mean?

Yea thats what I wanted to make sure was right. So you currently have something like this: In the port forwarding config.

Service Port:

Then to access the site you should be typing in the WAN IP into the browser (your routers IP) something like 66.109.45.5... Can you at least do that, and have the web page appear? Or not even with an IP? DNS is an entire other story so always try for the IP first.

yea, both ports are forwarded.

And when i Type my WAN ip in the browser, nothing happens. Even had a friend try it out.

*shrug

Set your computers IP below the 192.168.1.100 It could be conflicting with the router IP . I have my computers set a 192.168.1.10 .20 and .30 with no problems at all.

first of all, depending on too many ISP and DNS issues, you may not be able to view your website correctly from inside your own network. this is just due to certain data passing through your LAN and goign outside and then coming back in.....
so, when troubleshooting this in the future, keep having your friend from the outside try and go from there.
can your friend ping your external IP address? setting up 25 and 80 through to your PC running IIS should be just fine, so i see no reason to troubleshoot this.
Try placing your IIS machine in the gateway/routers DMZ and then attempt to access the website from the outside. Does this work? this would certainly narrow down the possibilities.

mikesgroovin,

Tried all of that. Very very frustrating.

Friend can ping my WAN IP. Friend cannot connect to ip.

I also have it set up in the DMZ. Still nothing.

Im at a loss. The only thing i can think of is a hardware issue. Perhaps my router isnt actually doing what im setting it to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom