Port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpio

Baseband Member
Can someone tell me how to use port forwarding with a D-Link DI-514 Wireless router? The user manual isn't very useful...

Thanks.

you should know how to access and configure your router using your web browser. Im not going to tell you how to do that.

find your way into the "ports", "virtual servers" or "port forwarding". The services can go by any of these names. If you have a modern router, you should see options for "inbound port" which are any two ranges, "type" which is tcp or udp or both, "private ip address" and "private port".

say you want to open or "foward" ports in your firewall for limewire. Say port 4321 is chosen for limewire. Specify the "inbound port" range as "4321 - 4321". private ip address should be the first 3 numbers of your gateway, which should already be inputted..and the last number is the number of the computer you want to open it up for. check for your pc number in "DHCP table or DHCP client list". For type, choose tcp. Put the same ranges for private ports.

for programs like bittorent, it is wise to configure a smaller range in the program. I use 7000-7010, which lets me have up to 10 sessions at a time.

Sweet, thanks, I got it working now. What kind of security risks are there leaving ports 212 or 59 open?

I think your risk is pretty low. I generally don't like to leave privileged ports open (ports 0 - 1023) unless I have a service running on that port. However, I get a lot of port scans against my firewall daily, and those ports aren't scanned often. My logs, which only go back 30 days, show four scans against 59 and four scans against 212. However, those scans came from the same IP address on the same date and time, so maybe there's a potential problem with them I don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom