Port changing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShade01

Baseband Member
I heard a story the other day about two women that are in business together. They send out e mail news letters everyday for a company. They both have opt online and both try to send out about 700 emails aday (i already thought spam hearing this). Anyway one woman constantly gets her account locked by opt online after 200 e mails and is told by them that she can't send out more then 200 in a 4 hr period. Her friend however claimed that she switched the port which she sends email from so she doesn't get her account shutdown. Is it possible to change your port for e mail to go out another way....and if so it would really stop opt online from noticing?

BTW - i don't want to know how to do it i just want to know if it's possible!

I'm not very good with email, so I'm charting into unknown territory here, but I think that it's possible as long as you configure the mail server to listen for outgoing mail on a different port.

SMTP, otherwise known as simple mail transfer protocol, most often uses port 25. That's the port that email is sent out on. I'm pretty sure you can change that, but of course you would have to change it on both the server and the client.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Yes, absolutely possible. You would not be able to do this w/ the opt online email acct though. You would need to have an alternative mail server, since, just as Obtruse_Man4 said, the server needs to be on the same port.

This is a common way around isps blocking port 25 to anything other than their own mailservers. This is usually done to prevent people from running their own mailserver, but some ISPs block 25 in both directions unless you're connecting to their own server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom