Port 2234

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Can anyone tell me if port 2234 is specific to any special device or service??

I'm noticing some strange behavior regarding this port.

There isn't anything "assigned" to this port but there are a couple games that use it in a range. What are you noticing?

Thanks guys. Last night i did a google search and discovered what i think it's related to on my pc. I use SoulSeek (file sharing program). Here's whats going on...

I download stuff with no problem when i'm using the program. Other users are downloading from me, no problem. I get no messages or errors on my pc (i have a software firewall up on my pc as a second line of defense). When i go into my router (SMC 7008ABR) i notice it has logged a few things in its security log.

I'll find a whole bunch of "SYN FLOOD TO HOST" messages (outbound) and a whole bunch of "SYN FLOOD" messages (inbound) along with one or two "SMURF" messages ( I recently inquired about these and just now discovered it was all related to SoulSeek). Most of these things all happen on port 2234 on my computer.

Like i said, the program itself is working fine, but there's something going on that's making the router suspicious of the activity. Do i need to do anything so i don't have to see these SYN FLOOD/SYN/SMURF messages on my security log? Is anything out of the ordinary going on here?

Thanks for the enlightening words of wisdom, Mousepad.

The guys at SoulSeek have told me this his regular network activity but because of the number of connections (when browsing files, etc.) the router is logging it all as SYN FLOODS and whatnot. Is there anything i can do about this, Mikesgroovin?? Or do i just have to deal with the security logs?

Syn Flood Port 2234

Thanks Ares,

I logged into my router and saw many of these Syn Floods all on port 2234 also. I did not what they were and did a search and found your posting.

I too use soulseek (mrbigg) - and glad to hear that I am not being DOS attacked or something :D

I can live with the firewall logs showing this as long as I know these are legit.

For future reference, just Google-ing "tcp port 2234" (or whatever port number like udp port 138) will usually give you an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom