PlugLink 9650 Ethernet Adapter any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingasis

In Runtime
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with powerline networking and the product I mentioned above, (Title). I'm thinking about using it for a bit as I wait for my wireless adapter to be soldered... anyone know the pros and cons of the pluglink?

I have no personal experience but have a few friends that are planning to test it out soon.

I would think that it would get the job done, but there would be a lot of 'noise' which would degrade the quality of the signal (since all other appliances are using the same lines).

Please post your findings if you end up testing this - i'm really curious.

Okay, well so far here's what i can say about it

Pros:
Fast for web browsing
Secure network
Automatically set for DHCP

Cons:
Slow if streaming web content
Still not a replacement for Ethernet
Personal issue, interfered with one of my appliance(cabinet light, kept flicking itself on) *could be a ghost?*
Dropped signal, not sure why could be because of the interference

Not really sure what else to say, I guess it does what it's suppose to? However, I was really hoping for it to be able to stream video content smoothly... Either way, in my opinion 3/5. i'd personally prefer 802.11g over this.

Another thing to add is that this model is of the older models for powerline networking and from what I've read so far about powerline networking it has improved over the years.

Ya, i figured that would be the outcome. It would work, but for people that care about bandwidth and quality using the same electrical system that your house uses is only going to cause problems.

Oh, and what if there is an electrical storm, would this cause more damage to your PC or network then normal?

Thanks for the update though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom