please save me from the Belkin N1 router!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
Ok, new router, the shiny black Belkin N1 router.

Trying to set up VnC to work, like it did with my nice Netgear one. None of the settings have changed on my PC (i double checked as well)

I have a Real VnC server running on a Windows Xp machine, and OSX VnC on a mac. All ports are open on those computers. They both have static ips. etc

I have a DNS name registered, of which i use to connect, becasue my ip is dynamic.

But when i try to connect to ether machine, i get "Connection Refused" error messages. Even if i try using my dynamic ip address.

I have set up on the router two "Virtual Servers" which point to each computer respectively using ports 5900 and 5800 - TCP/UDP

So any ideas lol.

Did you say you forwarded port 5800 to one computer and 5900 to another computer? Because VNC uses two port (one for it's web based java and one for the client program). So I'm not quite understanding your situation.

Did you say you forwarded port 5800 and 5900 to both computer? You can't do that. One computer must use the default 5800 and 5900 and the other computer using a different port (lets say 5901 because I think the OSX VNC doesn't have web base Java support). And the ports must be configured correctly on the VNC server to reflect the router configuration.

Maybe a screen shot of the configuration may clear this up.

Did you say you forwarded port 5800 to one computer and 5900 to another computer? Because VNC uses two port (one for it's web based java and one for the client program). So I'm not quite understanding your situation.

Did you say you forwarded port 5800 and 5900 to both computer? You can't do that. One computer must use the default 5800 and 5900 and the other computer using a different port (lets say 5901 because I think the OSX VNC doesn't have web base Java support). And the ports must be configured correctly on the VNC server to reflect the router configuration.

Maybe a screen shot of the configuration may clear this up.

What i was trying to say was that i tired it with different PC to eliminate that issue. And yes i know VnC uses two ports (5800 & 5900), and the servers copy that.

I have attached how it looks at the moment. I have 5800 and 5900 both TCP and UDP i have tried having all TCP or all UDP etc. All variations tried.

Attachments

• router.JPG
    router.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 172
It looks correct to me, even though you could of just use the TCP/UDP instead of individual line to save some space. Does VNC work locally right now? If it works locally than I have no idea why this router is giving you this issue. Could be some firewall setting on the router.

What firmware version is it? I can't even find any information about the latest firmware to help you either. I hate Belkin routers.

Thanks for your help.

Yep, locally it works fine.

I am running Version 2.00.13, which according to there website - is the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom