please help...trying to transfer documents from pc to laptop with cat-5e patch cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunAtUC

Beta member
Hi everyone, I am new here, and I am kind of, but not really, tech oriented, so I am hoping y'all can help me. I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. So I bought a category 5e patch cable which I connected to both my laptop and PC. I am trying to copy the contents of the My Documents folder from the PC to the laptop. I tried using the WinXP File and Settings Transfer Wizard, but apparently I just learned that it only works with a serial cable connection, which I don't have. So how do I do this? The laptop is connected wirelessly to the Internet, the PC is not. I tried setting up a home network, but I don't know enough about that kind of stuff to understand what I am attempting to do. Please help, and...type....slow, because I am not the brightest bulb in the bunch when it comes to this networking stuff! :D Thanks a million everybody!!!

In Christ, Shaun Evans

well the first thing is a direct connection from pc to laptop will not work with a patch cable you need a crossover cable. as for the files and setting xfer wizard just save the file to the laptop and then share out a folder and then run the xfer wizard on the PC when you import just map it to the share you made

The cat-5e patch cable will work through a hub or a switch but you will need a crossover cable if you want to connect them without a switch/hub.

indeed.

Ethernet cables are used to go into switches/hubs, routers, faceplates etc.

But Comp-Comp connections need a crossover cables, which are just normal ethernet cables cept one of the small cables in it are switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom