Please Help!! networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetster

Baseband Member
Hi all,

i've got 2 pcs networking at home. the computer in my room is the main one that conncected to the internet and the other one is upstair sharing through networking via a d-link router.

I've been using it for 2 yrs without any probs but recently, i have had a probs with my internet connection so i have re-installed my broadband. There is a probs wih my network now because the other computer upstair can't log onto the internet. i've tried to reset the router but it won't do it:(....anyone knows why ??? please give my some of your expertise.......thanks in advance.

Well, first off....i think that you might have to shorten your signature :) It's a little long :)
Secondly, 8 views doesn't say much considering, it counts as an extra view everytime you hit "Refresh" while viewing your own topic. :)

Ok, on with your question. Does the upstairs pc use Windows xp? Does it have a static ip address or are you obtaining an ip address automatcially? I guess my concern is, did you ever reset your router? If so, your ip address from teh upstairs computer may need a different ip address now. Either way, from the upstairs computer, find the ip address by going into a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" and post the results of the ip address, subnet mask and gateway here.
Then, try and access your router's configuration page by trying it's ip address in an internet browser

AllThingsGeek said:
Well, first off....i think that you might have to shorten your signature :) It's a little long :)
Secondly, 8 views doesn't say much considering, it counts as an extra view everytime you hit "Refresh" while viewing your own topic. :)

thanks for reminded me Geek........i didn't notice my signature....sorry guys...

Ok, on with your question. Does the upstairs pc use Windows xp? Does it have a static ip address or are you obtaining an ip address automatcially? I guess my concern is, did you ever reset your router? If so, your ip address from teh upstairs computer may need a different ip address now. Either way, from the upstairs computer, find the ip address by going into a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" and post the results of the ip address, subnet mask and gateway here.
Then, try and access your router's configuration page by trying it's ip address in an internet browser

it obtains ip address automatically........yeh i did reset the router so how do i give the ip address to the one upstairs......i did ipconfig /all but there were no ip address, subnet mask or gateway available

did you try having the xp machine setup the network?

my network places > "setup home or small office network" . Its in the pane on the left.

when it asks how its connected, hit other, then say it is connected through a hub, let it do its thing, dont make any config CD's just choose the bottom option.

see if that works, xp can be wierd sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom