Please help me revive my internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnoch

Daemon Poster
Hi
My problem is as follows:
I can connect to the internet, and it says that I am online, but I cannot do anything. Whenever I try to browse the web, use msn messanger or absolutely anything else that requires the internet, nothing happens. It is as if I am not online. I did a spyware and virus check, and it came up with some spyware, but after I deleted it, the problem persisted. I am pretty stumped on this one, Please Help.
Thanks;
Dnoch

56k, cable, dsl? What does ipconfig give you? Can you ping www.yahoo.com? Are you on a network and if so do the other computers on the network have the same problem? Can you ping your modem/router?

56k dialup. Im not on a network at the moment, but that is only because my other computer is in for repairs. Can't tell you at the moment what ipconfig says or if I can ping or not as I am not by my computer. I can post that probably in 24 hours.

Obtruse_Man4 said:
What does ipconfig give you?
PPP adapter absa
Connection-specific DNS suffix .:
Description ...........................: WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface
Physical Address ....................: 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled ........................: No
IP Address ............................: 196.39.54.121
Subnet Mask .........................: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway ....................: 196.39.54.121
DNS Servers ..........................: 168.210.2.2
NetBios over tcpip ..................: Disabled

Obtruse_Man4 said:
I can ping yahoo.com, and other international websites, but I can't ping local sites, it says it is timed out

Obtruse_Man4 said:
Can you ping your modem/router?
How do I do that?

csamuels said:
you could reseat the modem and/or update modem drivers.
I don't think my modem is the problem. I think it is more of a software issue.
I don't want to reformat my computer, but if I can't solve this problem, that is what I will do. But before I go to extreems, can someone please give me idea's.
Thanks a lot

dnoch said:
I don't think my modem is the problem. I think it is more of a software issue.
I don't want to reformat my computer, but if I can't solve this problem, that is what I will do. But before I go to extreems, can someone please give me idea's.
Thanks a lot
So you can ping www.yahoo.com, but when you open a web browser it won't display www.yahoo.com? Try using a different browser? Instant Messenger work at all? Any other internet dependent programs that work or don't work?

If you dial up successfully and can ping websites but can't view them it must be a browser problem. Can someone give him a direct link to the hijackthis download, that may give us some info

Obtruse_Man4 said:
So you can ping www.yahoo.com, but when you open a web browser it won't display www.yahoo.com? Try using a different browser? Instant Messenger work at all? Any other internet dependent programs that work or don't work?
It is not my browser, same thing with IE (I use firefox), and I can't get email (Microsoft Outlook). MSN Messanger won't even connect. When I try to access a wesite, some (like yahoo) says finding for a bit, and then says opening, but then it suddenly says cannot open website. Others, it just says finding site, and after a while, it times out.

Originally posted by BASS MASTER
If you dial up successfully and can ping websites but can't view them it must be a browser problem. Can someone give him a direct link to the hijackthis download, that may give us some info
That won't do anything, I am using a different computer to communicate with all of you, Anything I download, I can't get onto the computer giving the trouble. I have AVG free, and Zone Alarm pro, if I can give you any details from there, just ask.
This one has really stumped me.

Can you download Hijackthis onto a cd and put it on the problem computer?

Dumb question i know but you shut down zonealarm right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom