Please help with "Acquiring Network Address" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattlegrid_79

Solid State Member
I have a problem where I can't connect to some networks, but to others I can. I have a wireless connection at home that I connect to absolutely fine - never had any problems. Have also connected to some other wireless networks fine. However, some (particularly my dad's Sky wireless network at his house) I cannot connect to.

It finds the network fine, takes the password, but then hangs on "Acquiring Network Address" and won't connect. This has to be an issue with my PC because everyone else can connect to this wireless network from different machines. I've tried comparing the settings on one of the PCs that works with mine and the main settings don't seem any different.

I'm running an Acer Aspire 5500, XP, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG internal card.

I've looked at loads of forums and no problem that i've read about seems to match mine the same.

Any clues...or please tell me what information you need from me to be able to help. I'm about to tear my hair out!!!

Cheers

Sam

this sounds like a DHCP problem.
check your dad's router to make sure it hasn't been locked down to much - mac filtering, make sure there is an available ip for a new computer.

have you tried to set a static ip on your computer?

First off, try setting a static IP address.
On your dad's computer, press 'windows key' and 'r', type cmd then press enter.
Type 'ipconfig', and note the default gateway and IP address of this computer.
Now, go to your pc, set your default gateway to the same address as your dad's gateway, then set your IP to one address infront of your dad's. e.g. his is 192.168.1.100, you set yours to 192.168.1.101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom