Playstation Network Workaround...?

dreighver

Solid State Member
Hey guys, new guy here with a question.

I'll be heading off to college in late August, and unfortunately I've discovered that online console gaming isn't supported on my university's network. The idea seems incredibly idiotic, and why a university would discourage something so innocent and innocuous is beyond me. But I digress.

I've been doing some research on potential workarounds, including enabling internet sharing on my Macbook, and directly hooking up my PS3 to said connection, hoping that my Playstation will be recognized as my laptop. I have read a number of other suggestions, and I will continue to research the issue as my move-in date approaches.

Unfortunately, we can't have our own routers in our rooms, so that idea, or anything related to it, is moot.

Was wondering if anyone here has had this issue, and what they've done to resolve it, or if anyone has potential ideas and/or solutions. Obviously I won't know for sure what, if anything, works until I arrive, but I'd like to have a number of plans in place before I get there. Worst comes to worst, I'll talk to IT, express my intense dislike of the policy, and see if I can pull any strings via talking to them.

Again though, any ideas, suggestions, etc are much appreciated.

Thanks.

honestly not sure with the iphone as far as data usage i don't think its to bad as long as you're not streaming netflix but than i'm not as tech as most of the people on this site i would search in your app store for a tethering app and see what you come up with i have an android and the app i used was tether pro and in the instructions it told me how to set my ps3 up to it

Hey guys, new guy here with a question.

I'll be heading off to college in late August, and unfortunately I've discovered that online console gaming isn't supported on my university's network. The idea seems incredibly idiotic, and why a university would discourage something so innocent and innocuous is beyond me. But I digress.

Because it eats up bandwidth across campus like crazy, especially between upwards of 12,000 students. This makes it difficult to do actual school related things such as, you know, homework. I know this because I worked for my university's IT department for about 3.5 years.

I've been doing some research on potential workarounds, including enabling internet sharing on my Macbook, and directly hooking up my PS3 to said connection, hoping that my Playstation will be recognized as my laptop. I have read a number of other suggestions, and I will continue to research the issue as my move-in date approaches.

Unfortunately, we can't have our own routers in our rooms, so that idea, or anything related to it, is moot.

Was wondering if anyone here has had this issue, and what they've done to resolve it, or if anyone has potential ideas and/or solutions. Obviously I won't know for sure what, if anything, works until I arrive, but I'd like to have a number of plans in place before I get there. Worst comes to worst, I'll talk to IT, express my intense dislike of the policy, and see if I can pull any strings via talking to them.

Again though, any ideas, suggestions, etc are much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'll just say, there are ways to do it with internet connection sharing or mobile hotspots.

But mobile hot spot if you have the data would be the best bet, because then you wouldn't be draining bandwidth from the rest of the students and helping to slow the network down (believe me, in a dorm setting the internet will get SLOW with people streaming Netflix, YouTube, music, etc. all in the evenings when everybody is in their rooms).

As far as working around your school's policy... we're not going to help you do that; the policies were put in place for a reason.

Because it eats up bandwidth across campus like crazy, especially between upwards of 12,000 students. This makes it difficult to do actual school related things such as, you know, homework. I know this because I worked for my university's IT department for about 3.5 years.

I'll just say, there are ways to do it with internet connection sharing or mobile hotspots.

But mobile hot spot if you have the data would be the best bet, because then you wouldn't be draining bandwidth from the rest of the students and helping to slow the network down (believe me, in a dorm setting the internet will get SLOW with people streaming Netflix, YouTube, music, etc. all in the evenings when everybody is in their rooms).

As far as working around your school's policy... we're not going to help you do that; the policies were put in place for a reason.

Thanks for the advice.

With regards to their policy, it's implemented to save the university money. The less of a load they have on their network/servers, the weaker technologies they can afford to have, and the more money they save. Selfish motives, no doubt. I act on principle, and what I think is right; not based on laws or rules.

Like Carnage said, something like a MiFi from verizon would do it just fine (provided you have 4G coverage in the dorms). A 5GB limit might be a little tight though, depending on what games you're playing and how long you play them for.
dreighver said:
With regards to their policy, it's implemented to save the university money.
You know what they say about assumptions...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom