Playing games online

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPonder14

In Runtime
I just built my Computer yesterday, so i had to go to gamestop and buy Madden 08' to test it. It runs smoothly during normal play but once i try and play online, it either doesnt connect to peer, or it does but the gameplay is so choppy that its too hard to play.

I have a wireless router, but i am connected through a ethernet cable from the wireless router to my PC.

Any thoughts on improving the signal? Im assuming thats why it lags, and most of the time doesnt even connect to peers on the EA Server.

Appreciate the help

edit: there is a hub

Are you truly using a HUB or a ROUTER? If you are using a HUB, and you have more than 1 host, I wouldn't doubt that you would see some slowdown, as you will likely have a lot of traffic on the network. How many hosts are on the network, and are they downloading files? If you can, disconnect all other hosts from the network, and see if you are still have latency issues.

Are you truly using a HUB or a ROUTER? If you are using a HUB, and you have more than 1 host, I wouldn't doubt that you would see some slowdown, as you will likely have a lot of traffic on the network. How many hosts are on the network, and are they downloading files? If you can, disconnect all other hosts from the network, and see if you are still have latency issues.

there is only 1 other computer on the network and its using wireless. Im using a ethernet cable

If anyone is making downloads on your network is normal your network is lagged. Stop the downloads and try again. You can also try to connect your pc directly to modem to see if it's the router/hub who is introducing lag.

If anyone is making downloads on your network is normal your network is lagged. Stop the downloads and try again. You can also try to connect your pc directly to modem to see if it's the router/hub who is introducing lag.

There is a extra ethernet slot on my modem. So if i plug my cable right into that instead of the router, it shouldnt effect the router for the other pc right?

Don't know... never seen a modem with two ethernet slots, but try it. Make sure that you are not making downloads with bittorrent, it introduces too much lag.

Don't know... never seen a modem with two ethernet slots, but try it. Make sure that you are not making downloads with bittorrent, it introduces too much lag.

well there is only 1, but the other is a phone line slot, and the other is the tv cable connector hooked up.

Nothing is hooked up to the ethernet slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom