Pinging a different network

Underwater_CE

Beta member
Hello,

I have a network that runs on a 10.x.x.x IP address scheme. I need to interface it to a 192.168.x.x based network. A device on my 10.x.x.x network will be responsible for seeking a connection to a server on the 192.168.x.x network. I have written a piece of code that pings the server, and if there is a reply, transfers some files. This code must run on a machine on the 10.x.x.x network. Is there a way for my code on the 10.x.x.x network to talk to a machine on the 192.168.x.x network? If so, what and how?

Thanks Everyone very much!

I'm assuming both of the IP's you are speaking about are on private networks, correct?

Do you have a public facing IP address for either of these networks or are these networks both connected internally by a router?

Thanks so much Lex.

These are two private networks with no public IP. My 10.x.x.x network will connected to the 192.168.x.x network via a wireless access point on the 192.168.x.x network. Both networks are fully statically addressed. I've been doing more research after asking the question, and it seems that I will need to run a wireless bridge on my network with an IP in the 192.168.x.x network and use full cone NAT on a layer three switch to translate to my 10.x.x.x addresses to 192.168.x.x addresses.

There is still one point of confusion for me. Will I need to allocate 10.x.x.x addresses to map to the 192.168.x.x addresses?

For Instance, if I know that the FTP server has an IP address of 192.168.201.5 will I map an internal 10.x.x.x address such as 10.1.100.2 to that address? Meaning if I ping 10.1.100.2 from a machine on the 10.x.x.x network, will the ping request end up at 192.168.201.5 eventually?

Am I even on the right track here?

Thanks Again!

You need some type of proxy to communicate between the two networks. Some routers will do it but you need something to say hey, this address is going to this network. Most routers do that but if you don't have it configured on the router then that traffic doesn't know where to go.

What i don't fully get is how you can ping that address though. If that's the case packets are getting there so almost sounds like a firewall issue.

I'm not able to ping the 192.168.x.x network yet. I'm digging in on this as we speak and I think static routing might be my ticket. I've got an old extreme 200-24 I'm configuring right now to test my theory. Basically, a routing table that "maps" one address and port to another. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Hopefully the 200-24 will work as a "gateway" of sorts between the two networks. I've got one port assigned an 192.168.x.x address and another assigned a 10.x.x.x address. Hopefully, with successful configuration of the routing table, the switch will translate between the two. Thanks again for all of your help.

From what I am reading here, you have a router that has two differant IP networks on it, correct?

Or are you trying to 'cross talk' between these networks located in differant locations?

You wish to have network 1 communicate with network 2, correct?

Will you have only one computer on network 1 talking to just one computer on network 2, or do you need more computers on either network?

If you are on the same main router, then depending on the router that you are using, you can go into the setups and have either a single computer on one network "cross talk" to a single computer on another network, and at the same time still talk to all other computers on the main network that it is on.

You can also have many computers on one network talk to many on the other, but again it depends on the router you are using.

If you are trying to 'cross talk' between these two networks and they are on differant routers in differant locations, then you have a harder setup.

Most average home type routers will not let you do this type of routeing. You will need a more profressional type.

I run a network that has 4 differant IP networks and I have two of them 'cross talking" but I had to go to a router that was a little more $$ but it was been working very well for 5 years.

confused2,

A brief introduction to my system is as follows. I have a vehicle with several devices operating on the 10.x.x.x network, at least 15 at the time. This vehicle has to seek connection to a server in a shop, so I developed code that runs on a computer in the vehicle that seeks a connection to this server. The issue is that the server is on a 192.168.x.x network and my vehicle runs on the 10.x.x.x network. It isn't possible to change the IP scheme of either network. There stands the possibility that connection to multiple 192.168.x.x devices will have to communicate with several 10.x.x.x devices and visa verse. There is no physical hard wire connection between the networks, I'm using an N-Tron wireless switch on the vehicle running in "station" mode, which is a fancy way to say bridge mode. The bridge will connect to an access point on the 192.168.x.x network. The N-Tron device will be the only 192.168.x.x device on my vehicle. I will have to use static routing tables to "cross-talk" between the two with a small router or layer three switch. That's what my research has lead me to.

Back
Top Bottom