Ping will not answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpak

Solid State Member
When I ping a computer on the network it will not answer as though it is offline but if you go to the computer, it is online, and you can see the network drives and you can browse the internet! How is that possible? what can I do to be able to ping it?
this doesn't even work from the file server!
all computers are win xp pro and the servers are win 2003 server ed.

thanx.

Hmmm....

Not sure how it is possible are you pinging the computer from a "admin" account or a "user" account? that might effect it

From the server with the admin account!!!
I know it is connected because i see the http log from the firewall. But trying to ping it fails.
Any reason why?

that's very odd! I have never not been able to ping a PC that I can see on the network before..

I will ask about at work

Sorry!

If yer running winXP check the firewall settings. The winXP firewall has an option to reply to echo requests (pings). Make sure you have this checked. Same goes for any other firewall

It might be possible that a piece of hardware on the network is not allowing ICMP packets to pass through it. Can you ping internet webpages?
Is this a corporate (business) networK?

bla!! said:
Windows XP with SP2 began blocking ICMP echo requests. Go into your firewall settings like fitzjj said and allow ICMP pings.

I don't know if that's true or not, no OS that I ever encounter block ICMP echo request or by default. This piece of protocol is vital for communication and troubleshooting.

But since we have no clue how your firewall setting looks like, or your IP addressing, it's probably best to check it out on both side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom