ping = hacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willer

Solid State Member
okey, i wana know your opinion...

my housemate, who stay in pangsa puri bukit beruang utama (PBU), malacca, MMU student was accuse by our neighbour :mad: , said he is hacking their computer.

what he do is trying to ping their IP.
he open command prompt then insert ping IP one by one from IP 192.168.25.181 to 192.168.25.186 because he wana know who is online and offline.

:confused: later somebody knock our door and said "R U hacking my computer?":D ... (wow! lucky is not me doing that) because in our hostel rules , penalty for hacking is RM3000.

i trying to explain wit them, ping is like knocking ur door, to know is that sombody in or not, that is no hacking. if u able to access or doing funny inside then that call hacking.

so in here i would like to ask , running something like PING, trace router, net send... should this consider as hacking?

one more is that port scanning consider hacking?

I don't think a ping sweep of a hole 5 computers is anything at all. Heck, I'm wondering if there wasn't more to it then that because I think the hole sweep would take under a second. Maybe theres more to the story then that but I'm not sure. Theres no problems with ping/trace route/nslookup... netsend could be anonying and frowned upon. Last but not least port scanning, I think this could go eather way I think its all about how much computers you scan and what you find really. Personely I would want proof from this person, like firewall logs or what have you. That way you know weather or not to back the person your defending or what to say to the person your trying to explain this situation too. bah what ever, hope this helps. Hope your friend doesn't get screwed to much by the "RM3000" or what ever.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I if pinging is hacking my lord im in some deep shit.....

If i were you i would tell your neighbor to shut the hell up, they have no idea what they are talking about and to go away. Then i would email them a trojan that contained a keylogger, then send them an anoymous email with nothing but all they password that they use.

Tell them the technical aspects. Pinging is used to see if a
node is alive. It is also used to check to see if your network
connectivity is good through pinging known good nodes.

In no way is just pinging a computer considered a malicious act.

Tracert is not malicious either it is pinging with a reply from
each node that your ICMP travels through to reach it's destination.

Port Scanning is a malicious act because the information you
recieve from the node is irrelevant to you. If you are not reaching
a website than running a port scan will only show open ports but
not whether the server is experiencing problems and unable to
complete a connection.

I take it that the IP address is in an order by the individual room
or the person wouldn't know that a person with this IP address
was pinging his computer.

Tell him next time to run netstat -a -n this will display all connections to your computer and their ip address. It will also
display the port number their connected to.

Pinging is simply sending a packet of information to a remote host and them sending one back as a reply to see if the host is online.

A while ago in older systems, pinging COULD be used as a DoS attack (Ping of Death), but most PCs prevent that now.

Pinging ain't hacking.

Although, some places, such as my school, have Terms that state no pinging, port scanning, tracing, sniffing etc.

port scanners, pinging and ip scanners are perfectly legal to do over the internet if its your machine your doing it to or you have permision. but i think it comes down to intent. the neighbour wouldnt of known he had been pinged unless he was some 1337 hacker. so your friend was probably flooding him with a .bat he found the source for. and thats a dos attack, which is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom