ping -a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's not THAT big of a deal... It's just, when the ping -a command didn't work, I wondered if I could accomplish what I needed with the Ubuntu desktop there. That was my train of thought.

In windows if ping -a doesn't work, you can try a tracert. Usually if ping -a doesn't work then tracert won't pull the name over either... Simply because it's nor there in the table. You should be able to arp it to get the mac address or use host in Linux or use a 3rd party network query/diag tool ... Probably in that order

How would I use "host" in Linux? Because I have an Ubuntu machine available to try this out on as well.

Can I use wireshark to find the hostname? I've got it downloaded but it's been years since I used this last so I'm not positive where I would go to find this feature... assuming it exists.

Do the full comprehensive scan and it will show up under hosts in the report.

But, how? How am I obtaining the host name from a certain IP? I don't know where to even start. Somehow I have to be in communication with the IP in order to pull any information from it... which is where I'm lost.

Isn't there a feature that I can just connect to the IP of the computer I'm trying to find and BAM, out comes the hostname?

Jayce are you at work an neer your linux box? I just asked a mate about this an this is what he said use the "host 192.X.X.X" command an it should tell you the host name.

I assume this is just done in the terminal? I wasn't sure if it was a terminal command or a networking tool in the GUI. That's why I was confused.

FYI - I found this program... "Angry IP Scanner" which seems to do the job I need. Only thing is I can't pull the IP on the computer in question because it's probably shut off. Students are gone and it's a laptop... and we have about 550 laptops... so it's somewhere out there but I can't pick it up. I tested it on a test computer behind me (used the IP in the scanner to pull the hostname) and it grabbed it. But I'm still curious on doing this for Ubuntu... anything I can do in Ubuntu I seem to prefer over Windows utilities. I use my Ubuntu machine as my "troubleshooting box." :D

Angry IP scaner is a nice tool but it's like using a nuclear missile to swat a fly.

An yea it's in terminal mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom