Phone Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake91839

In Runtime
I have a client that is expanding to a second location and needs phone solutions. Before using my contact to find a solution, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how a phone system is set up. It will most likely be an IP based system, but I am not experienced in phone systems. Does someone have any expertise in this or reading material online that explains how a phone network works? Like, where the PBX will be located, what kind of switches to use, and connecting it to the DC for configuration.

Thanks for any help!

The company I work for changed their phone system from a analog system to use a digital PRI. We're using a dynamic bonded T1 lines with one T1 dedicated for phone communication. We have analog backup lines as well. The phone carrier added a router to handle the phone and data communications; this handles the dynamic T1. Most of our building uses analog phones but we do have some ip phones.

I'm confused as to whether or not we still use our dmarc.

I think the PBX was taken out, but I'm not sure. The phone system connects to a layer 3 switch. Vlans and QOS have been suggested for ip phone traffic. The phone sytem does not interact with our DC.

Demarcation point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Primary rate interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the reply!

As far as a dedicated line, is that necessary do you know? The dilemma that I have is that the customer has two sites and wants them both tied to the same number so he only has to advertise one. There will be two servers on both ends but only one DC so that they are all on the same domain through either a VPN or dedicated T1 line - depending on which bid gets accepted. The last time I did anything with phones a PBX was required.... shows how up to date I am on everything.

I'm guessing the DRI replaces the outdated PBX? I will read more on the links that you have posted to try and piece some of this together.

Thanks again for the helpful reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom