pentium 1 as a server for a hpc, ppc and palm

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengyou

Baseband Member
Hi! First of all I am really excited to find this forum. I hope that I will be able to answer somequestions for some people also.

Secondly, I have to admit that I am a gadget freak and I also like to find ways to use older hardware.

I travel quite often in China where I am doing work developing vocational training for orphans and foster children. I have a couple of pdas that I carry with me for different purposes. I am addicted to the pda bug but have found that there are only so many places to stick things on or in one pda so have found that a couple suit me.

I am looking for a good way to communicate with these devices and was thinking that a mobile wireless network would be a really good way to help make up for limited memory and other resources on each device. My questions:

1. Can I use the built in infrared ports on these devices - I believe they use the same standard - to communicate with a pentium 1 to share the hard drive and gprs card of the pentium 1? Is infra red line of sight? If so, that wouldn't work. Is blue tooth line of sight?

2. Does anyone make a hard drive with a battery and enclosure and either infrared or blue tooth that will work as a standalone server and allow all of my devices to share the hard drive? so that I don't need a computer with the hard drive to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom