peer-to-peer file sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malefactor

Solid State Member
the topology of my network is as follows:
- cable modem connecting to a d-link 704p router/switch/print server combo
- router connecting two computers (both desktops running xp pro)

I have recently purchased a new HDD and installed win XP pro from scratch everything works fine apart from 2 file sharing issues. first of all i cant access C:\windows or C:\Program Files on the other computer (is this just a limitation of peer-to-peer?) and secondly when the other computer tries to access mine it asks for a user name and password... i have never seen this before... i didnt set it up and wouldnt know how to! anyone know whats gone wrong?

Malefactor said:
first of all i cant access C:\windows or C:\Program Files on the other computer (is this just a limitation of peer-to-peer?) and secondly when the other computer tries to access mine it asks for a user name and password... i have never seen this before... i didnt set it up and wouldnt know how to! anyone know whats gone wrong?

when you try to access c:\windows or c:\ program files, what does it say that makes you think you can't access them?

did you turn on file sharing for c drive on the computer you are trying to get to?

they're definatly in the same workgroup... i can see each machine on both... just when you go to click the icon for my machine in my network places it asks for a username and password... oh and ive tried using my username and password and the username and password for the other machine and the administrator user and pass for both... none work

yeah,
when i try to access Windows and Prgm Fls on the other machine it says i dont have permission

I think one of the machines is the "admin"...You need to find out which one and take a look/configure some of the settings for filesharing in the user accounts

BTW: Can you all see my pic in my sig, sometimes it don't show up...

If it's XP, then there are user accounts. 1 of them is like the administrator and the other is like a regular member. The regular member's not allowed to view certain stuff...like what he can't see..get it?

yeah i understand that but both accounts being used are the admins of that specific computer

have you run the home or small office network wizard on both machines? use the this computer connects directly to internet or through a network HUB option. see my attached image.

the name/ pass error sounds like you either have advanced sharing enabled or one of your machines is running win2000.

to disable advanced sharing goto my computer> tools> folder options> view and make sure the very last box use simple file sharing is checked.

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 63
ive set both computers back to simple file sharing and on the other computer (when trying to access mine) the user and pass screen still comes up but now it has a user name already entered and greyed out so you cant change it... however you still cannot access my pc from the other pc as no password willl work

i have implemented no passwords anywhere on the network which is why this is extra confusing

i'll try using the network setup wizard in that config and get back to you... i currently have it set up as the: this computer accesses the internet through another computer (the router)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom