PCs, routers, and networks, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickick

Solid State Member
Hello,

I'd like to know if I can connect my existing PC and it's cable internet with a router to my newly purchased PC, if my network interface for that PC is the Integrated Intel PRO 10/100 Ethernet?

Thanks.

Yes, just get a router and connect the cable modem and the 2 computers to it. If your Cable modem happend to be USB someone else is going to have to help you :)

Josh

Thanks for answering guys, this is all new to me I still need to figure out which router to buy, y'know an A, B, or G and what brand, I seem to see that LinkSys or Netgear is good, but I have more reading to do on this site.

So does a router come in like two parts/modules? One that connects to the cable modem on the first (older) PC that has the internet and then a second piece that hooks up to the new PC?

Get the IEEE 802.11g, most of these are bakwards compatable with B. The unit is one part, you plug the cable modem into the router and the router remembers your user name and password information, it will also make sure your modem is always connected. You then wire the other computers to the router (for wireless you will need a wireless adapter for your computer that is also IEEE 802.11g compliant).

Josh

I'd just like to confirm info here as I go along and learn new things:

The cable modem connects to the router by ethernet (correct?) how typically does the router connect to the 1st PC?

What connects the 2nd PC to the router if they're located in different places? I'm thinking it's the wireless adapter which connects to the 2nd PC by USB correct?

Please bear with me as I've only just heard the word router a few days a go and it's all new, thank for all your help.

Yes, you do not need to have a computer directly connected to your router at all. They can both be connected with wireless adapters. I personally don't recomend a USB adapter if you can get a PCI adapter (one that connects directly to your motherboard inside the case).

Josh

Why do you recommend PCI over USB for the adapter, I figure with the extrenal one I can move it around a little more to catch the best signal? Is USB less effective?

What in your opinion is the pros and cons?

Josh1857 wrote: If your Cable modem happend to be USB someone else is going to have to help you

Yes the cable modem is connected to the 1 yr old PC by USB, does a router have a USB connection or outlet (for lack of a better word) in back of it? Can I connect the modem to the router with USB? Thanks for helping with the responses.

Mainly just a personal preferance, I don't like extra stuff on my desktop. Also if you happen to not have USB 2.0 I think you will loose some of the speed of 802.11g.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom