pcanywhere and wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

patb

Beta member
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum or not. Send me on if I'm not.

I'm trying to connect between my computer and another's via pcanywhere 10.5.

I use a wireless internet connection, and that's about all I know about it. I do know my domain IP number. The person I want to connect with has a cable modem.

I was told by the wireless people to use the "direct" option in the program but it isn't working. We're following all the instructions per pcanywhere for this type of connection, but we have no luck.

We both have 'late model', high speed computers, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Any idea what we should be looking for?

Thanks,

Are you both on the same local network? or are you in one location on one internet connection and your friend is on a totally different one?
forget the direct option....this is to use when your computer are DIRECTLY connected to one another, like with a serial cable. You want to use the Network, Cable, DSL option. But if you are on two totally different networks then you will have to forward some ports (5631 and 5632) on your gateway/router (if you have one). If you don't then you should be able to just connect to his Internet IP address (the one obtained when you go to www.whatismyip.com)

We're two separate computers at two separate sites. I don't have a router (it's all internal) and I don't know what he has. We've tried the connection using both "direct" and "network/cable/DSL".

Could you elaborate on "netmeeting"? Not a clue here.

Thanks for your help!

windows netmeeting will alow you full control of the remote machine.... this application takes 2.. meaning that the other person has to be there to "let you in".

Windows netmeeting can be used by typing "conf" into the run line.

Run through the setup tab...
when you finally get to the netmeeting "not in a call"
hit the help menu... then select "about windows netmeeting"
this will show you your ip... have the other person enter that into their netmeeting and then give you a call...
select the desktop and share it...
all you have to do....

Oh! WINdows program! :D Sounds good! So we can exchange files, etc. this way, like pcanywhere? If so, we'll definitely give it a go. Thanks SO much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom