Passwords on Network Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
How would I apply passwords on folders, and drives on my network? So say I want to be able to access my computer on the network, but I only want them to be able to access if they have the correct password... how would I do that? I am using Windows XP Pro

yes, i found it... windows does have a build it feature. you go to "my computer" go to "tools" then to "folder options" then to "view" at the bottom of the list there is a box that says "simple file sharing"...... un-check that

ok... once you have done the steps in the above box. then you can go to a folder or drive (that is NTFS) and right-click on it. then go to "sharing and secutiry..."

i am the one who asked for the question to be asked, cuz im am new at this site.

my problem is when I click on "security" and i go do add a user, i cant locate the computer that the user is on... how do I do that?

that's because you have to duplicate all users to your winXP machine. example you have a second computer running win98 with username: john1 and password: fire36. on your winxp machine goto the user accounts and add john1 with pass: fire36. now go back to the advanced folder sharing option and add john1 to the permissions. I think you can choose what john can do within the folder for example if he has read-only access or write access..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom