password protecting shares with WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, when I right click on "My Computer" and select "Map Network Drive", the dialog comes up with my network machines listed. I choose the one with the drive I want to map, but when I try to expand to see the drives, there's nothing there. The computer is showing up, but no drives. The only way I can map the drive is to right click on the computer listing in the "map network drive" dialog and click open and use an admin login to browse that system. Then I right click on the drive I want to map and choose "map network drive" yet again. Then it allows me to do this, but there's no place to check to save my login info. That's where I'm running into problems now.

OK, that worked. Since I was already looking at the drive in explorer, it allowed me to see the drive when I went to map it. It didn't ask me for a login either.
I'm going to restart my machine and see if it will reconnect on it's own.

Well, my machine uses an admin account, but the machien with the drive I'm mapping is logged in on a limited account.

When I get these computers in the place they need to be (I'm still setting the machines up), the both the machines with the shared drives and the ones connecting to them will be using limited accounts.
Is this important?

I restarted and it's reconnecting fine on mine. The only thing I noticed is that it takes an extra 30 seconds or so for my machine to start up. I guess it has to do with connecting to that drive.

Yes, the extended login perios is a normal thing.
Have you tested the login with the limited account to make sure it reconnects on login ?

I haven't tried to map the drive from a limited account if that's what you're asking. I don't have one set up on my machine, but I'll test it soon enough when I get some other computers set up.

ok good luck... it should work fine. Just make sure you have the appropriate accounts setup either on the network or on the local machine.

There will be admin accounts present on all machines, but the employees will be logged in as limited users.

I'll drop you a line if I have any issues when I do the actual final setup. I'm just testing all this in my office at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom