Password Protect my shared folders over network!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi,
I was wondering how can I password protect my shared files and folders on my network so that no one can access them but me...
I used to deselect the "Use Simple file sharing" and, if im not mistaken, it used to ask for a password...
My friend got his laptop to my place yesterday and connected to my network wirelessly...and I went to see if I can access the files...and to my surprise, it didnt ask for a password or anything!!

Any ideas???

Thanx

Been a while since i played around with windows shared, but i dont think simple file sharing uses passwords. if you want to use passwords you'll need to disable simple file sharing and create a user account on the machine for your friend. then right clicking on the file share it but ensure that your friend has read permission on the files you want him to be able to read.

Rawan AbuSalman said:
Hi,
I was wondering how can I password protect my shared files and folders on my network so that no one can access them but me...
I used to deselect the "Use Simple file sharing" and, if im not mistaken, it used to ask for a password...
My friend got his laptop to my place yesterday and connected to my network wirelessly...and I went to see if I can access the files...and to my surprise, it didnt ask for a password or anything!!

Any ideas???

Thanx

Right click on the folder, go to the sharing tab. Click on permission, remove the "Everyone" group. Click add, advanced, find now and select your current account. Make sure this account is password protected. Click OK to add only this account and the folder should be password protected.

Right click on the folder, go to the sharing tab. Click on permission, remove the "Everyone" group. Click add, advanced, find now and select your current account. Make sure this account is password protected. Click OK to add only this account and the folder should be password protected.
Thanx for that...but I still have some questions...
If I remove the Everyone group and add my current account...what does this mean??All users on this computer can access the files...and everything goes as normal...right?But no one on the network can access the files except my account??Or does it mean that any user on the network will need to type in my Username an my Password (of this account) to be able to access the files??
Another thing...if I allow READ for Everyone...does this mean that they can see the files but cannot change them/copy them....?
Again...thank you...
Rawan

if the files are read only, they could only be read. Make sure the permissons only allow them to be read only, unless you want to let other people modify it.

Ok...I tried the permissions...it does work..but not quite what I wanted...and there's something I didnt quite understand...If I put Full Control for my username, and Deny Full Control for Everyone...what does that mean???Technically, it means that no one but my username can have access to these files...but how is this possible??I mean...I do have access to my files (on my own computer) and my username wont be logged in on other computers...so technically what I am doing is giving access to myself to my files?? I dont know if your following me...cuz im kind of lost!!

What I wanted (and used to get sometimes, dont know why nor how to do) is to be prompted for username and password each time someone tries to open shared folders...if they know the username/password...they are able to view/edit/modify...if not, they cannot see the files...
How can I do that??

Thanx again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom