password nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

green energies

Beta member
I've connected two pc for file and printer sharing with a crossover cable. The two pcs see each other. However, when I try to install a printer or access a shared folder on the other computer, I get a password request.
The user name is grayed out and it asks for a password. The user name has the name of the computer that I'm trying to access with Guest after the slash.
It is from this point on that all of my attempts to edit the various password permissions have failed. I am simply lost.
I've got both pc set up with administrator rights, and I am the only one using them.

One pc has wireless for internet only. The other is connected through cables and router.

When I boot both computers , there's no password request; this is why I am not sure what password the pc is looking for.
Thanks in advance.
green

I have little to no experience with this but when I have done it the user account has to have a password for the remote access to work. Try making a 1 letter pass, whilst you wait for the gurus to turn up.

Just make a user in each of the users for sharing or what salty said just add a password to the existing users and you can just type in those credentials. What windows are you using? in windows 7 if you set up a homegroup for sharing, you shouldnt be prompted for credentials from my experience

As Sniper said, we'll need to know what Operating Systems are running on both PCs before we can offer you more specific help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom