P233Mhz Slow Ethernet Speed - Max 33mbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

realtechtalk

Baseband Member
Hello guys

I've tried everything so I'm wondering if my conclusion that this old box is not capable of higher transfer rates than 33mbit/s is correct?

I have tried 3 different Unix OS's on it from, Redhat, Centos, FreeBSD and the results are all the same. In each case I verify the NIC is connected to the switch at 100mbit full duplex. I hve tried two different NICs and different CAT5, all with the same results.

I have even put in a new hard drive and upgraded to an 80-pin cable and I have verified through speed tests that the hard drive is capable of much higher data transfer and is running in Ultra DMA mode.

So any ideas? What is the higher transfer rate any of you can attain with a P233 Mhz or slower system?

Thanks!

I could test on the machine in my signature. What's the easiest way to test it? I am connected to it @ 100MBps full duplex. Both computers running XP.

Well just because a nic card says it can transfer at 100 meg full duplex, doesnt mean it will achieve that speed.

That's a good speed for a low priced card.

Its not your computer, I have a P2 233mhz with win xp and I get a full 100mb/s.
How long is the cable that runs from your router to your computer? You may be experiencing attenuation.

Did you terminate these cables yourself? If they are not done properly, then the connection will still work, but you won't be able to achieve speeds of 100 MB or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom