Over the network virus scanner.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Since I've been up all night and it's hard to concentrate on the screen for a Google session, I'm asking here. This is not something I ever generally would need and my company is too big for something like this so I have no experience with it (every place I set up previously had individual system AV). Anyways, anybody know a way to remotely virus scan the active machines on a network? I'm assuming it would need a central host that the clients talk to, but something less enterprise and more consumer.

Yea that's business and has a business price even for a small setup (5 machines 2 servers $184 for a year).I guess what I'm wanting is a bit much for a home install, as all I want to do is monitor clients (aka kids) from my desk and initiate manual scans from here or my server. Spending 184 a year is not worth the convenience of just walking upstairs and hitting scan. We use Mcafee at work where all the servers talk to the EPO server and even just updating sigs is a damn bitch and a half. Bitdefender does seem on paper that they have ease of use down with a lot of automation.

I've considered doing something like this at home too, but the cost of buying individual licenses or bundles of family licenses gets pretty pricey above 5 machines. Seems like a lot of these companies follow that licensing model. That Bitdefender family pack is pretty decent price with usage is based on a fair use policy. That wouldn't be bad at all for that price but it doesn't look like it is centrally managed. Webroot SecureAnywhere is centrally managed but its around the same price as Bitdefender Gravityzone for that many endpoints.

If you're all Windows 10 / Server 2016 there's the Defender option.

Back
Top Bottom