Over the network virus scanner. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Over the network virus scanner.

Since I've been up all night and it's hard to concentrate on the screen for a Google session, I'm asking here. This is not something I ever generally would need and my company is too big for something like this so I have no experience with it (every place I set up previously had individual system AV). Anyways, anybody know a way to remotely virus scan the active machines on a network? I'm assuming it would need a central host that the clients talk to, but something less enterprise and more consumer.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Over the network virus scanner.

We use Trend Micro atm but it kinda sucks resource-wise, moving to Bitdefender soon
https://www.bitdefender.com.au/business/compare.html
Does require a client installed on the workstations, but manageable from a central server

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yea that's business and has a business price even for a small setup (5 machines 2 servers $184 for a year).I guess what I'm wanting is a bit much for a home install, as all I want to do is monitor clients (aka kids) from my desk and initiate manual scans from here or my server. Spending 184 a year is not worth the convenience of just walking upstairs and hitting scan. We use Mcafee at work where all the servers talk to the EPO server and even just updating sigs is a damn bitch and a half. Bitdefender does seem on paper that they have ease of use down with a lot of automation.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Ahh right, didn't realise it was for your personal use lol.
They do a family pack for $60/yr: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/family-pack.html

I'm not 100% on what you'll be able to see/control as the moderator, but pretty sure they offer a free trial if you wanted to test it out
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
The strange one

I've considered doing something like this at home too, but the cost of buying individual licenses or bundles of family licenses gets pretty pricey above 5 machines. Seems like a lot of these companies follow that licensing model. That Bitdefender family pack is pretty decent price with usage is based on a fair use policy. That wouldn't be bad at all for that price but it doesn't look like it is centrally managed. Webroot SecureAnywhere is centrally managed but its around the same price as Bitdefender Gravityzone for that many endpoints.

If you're all Windows 10 / Server 2016 there's the Defender option.

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

I'm using Defender for their machines, but as far as I'm aware there's no way to remotely manage scans and whatnot.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
The strange one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I'm using Defender for their machines, but as far as I'm aware there's no way to remotely manage scans and whatnot.
I dont think so other than GP if you have a domain.. If you have a Server 16 you might add the features to see what it does

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote