[OPERATION] - Sil's Printer Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I am getting a little sick and tired of the rest of the house network badgering me for print jobs. (Long Story Don't Ask)

I have a Canon LBP-660 Laser Printer, and they are fussy to network at it's a GDI Printer.
Especially those 30 page print jobs at 7:45 am. At 6 pages per minute with the more than occassional printer jam, i need to be out the door 8am.

Boss-man is giving me for free a Compaq Deskpro 4000 (P-166, 16Mb Ram, 2 Gb Hard Drive, 10/100 Nic) so I can set up a printer server at back of my house.

Questions :-
1. What OS would be better for setting up the this dedicated printer server. Windows 98SE or Windows 2000.

2. If I do put Windows 2000, would I want to be upping the ram at all to 32Mb/48Mb/64Mb. Mind you, this computer is just going to sit in a corner all day act as a printer server. There will be a Keyboard and Mouse attached to it. Monitor (although I have a spare) will only be connected if there is a problem.

Could you not ditch the monitor all together and just log in remotely over the network if there is an issue??

2k would be the better OS. It's more stable and if the spooler screws up you can restart the service.

2k recommends 64 min ram. all other specs are good.

Actually found a retired Deskpro with 64Mb Ram in it.

There was also a Sound Blaster Live Digital Entertainment inside the box too. :)

CURRENT SPECS of this box is :-
P-166 Mb, Wester Digital 1.5Gb Hard Drive, 64Mb EDO Ram (8x 8Mb Ram Modules), On board 10/100 Network Card, Win 2k SP4

Now getting the printer shared in not going to be so bad. However what am I going to need to do so I can set up a remote desktop and setting things up from PzychoB!tch (Win XP Machine) if I need to.

Can Windows Xp Sp1a and Windows 2k SP4 do that. Or should i rely on some thing like PC Anyware (which is some thing I do not have)

All done now

PrinterServer.jpg

I figured that I am going to keep the monitor on this box as it would be useful for people to access the online phone books and the internet. I changed my mind on the location as placed in the far end of the kitchen. It's the most central location of the house with out getting in people way.

I just hope that the computer is not too close to the microwave. It about 30 cm (1 foot) away. The printer right next to it microwave.

I will be putting a small phone directory program on this computer too so we can store all of our contact (that we wish to have public) on it.

I am think about putting a modem in here and getting a some software for Faxing and Answering Machines. I will thinking about that for the time being.

i dont think win2k can run remote desktop. As an alternative, i suggest www.tightvnc.com With the default installation, no client install is needed, any pc with a java enabled browser can control the pc running the VNC server. It has a built in http daemon that loads a java applet on port 5800 for the first connection. So install the server, set a pwd, goto another comp, ppoint your browser to http://serverpc:5800, and you're connected.

I might check out that software some time. Thank you for the suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom