Open DNS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiyoYoshiku

In Runtime
Ok here's the deal. My Ever so paranoid mother wants to put a filter on 2 computers. I told my parents Get net nanny it's easy to use and non evasive. So they did and it did what it had to do BUT it blocked my mom from using ebay so they got rid of it.

NOW they're planing on getting Open DNS which seems VERY evasive and could potentially cripple my ability to do whatever I want (Technically I rent my room here) I also own the router so anything they do to it I can at anytime change back.

As I understand open DNS changes the DNS server settings on the router. SO if it's installed on the router and it cripples the internet what do I need to do to change it? Do I reset the router and run the set up again? Can I change the DNS Settings on the router wirelessly at anytime through my laptop? (I have my ISP's DNS addresses saved on my laptop so problem getting the DNS Address) I just need to know what to do if/when this stupid DNS Filter ruins the internet or at worse cripples my router.

Open DNS doesnt change anything on the router. It changes it on the computer in use. You change the settings for the internet within Windows. Not the router. Check the website, it will tell you this.

You can add safe sites to netnanny, so if it blocked ebay just unblock it and add it to the allowed list - no reason to scrap the software and waste money on something else.

You can setup OpenDNS on the router to be used and everybody who is using your router as DNS will go through.
But if you setup DNS on our laptop to DNS of your ISP then you will not use OpenDNS for resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom