One user on wireless network can't connect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gneville16

Beta member
Hi, I'm not genius on networks so please go easy with the technical terms, but at the same time I'm not a novice either so you shouldn't need to write a novel to explain the solution (I hope).

I'm at uni living with 3 other people - total 4 computers including me, 2 laptops and 2 pc's. I bought a linksys wireless router/gateway which came with a free laptop wireless card - I use that. The other 3 have belkin cards, so 1 belkin laptop card and 2 belkin pc cards. All computers can connect to the network except for one of the pc's, although having said that it can connect when it connects by itself with no security on the network. As soon as one of the other computers tries to surf the internet the whole network dies and nobody can get on - the router then disappears from the available wireless networks list until it is restarted.

Since we're all paying for the internet it is a big problem, i don't want to be lending my laptop everytime the other person needs it!

Everyone is now on windows xp pro although the computer tha doesnt work was on Home till I upgraded it thinking that was the problem. His computer also won't allow SP2 to be installed, when I double click it it just won't open, works on everyone elses computers though. Is it a problem that SP1 users can't be on the network with SP2 users? I have no idea personally, his computer is off ebay and although it's spec is good it appears to be a little dodgy - beeps a lot and he just had to buy a new keyboard for it as the one he got was bodge.

Anyway, I'll leave that with you, if there is any more information that you need then I should be able to reply pretty quickly as I'll be refreshing this page regularly waiting for a reply.

Summary - 4 Computers on wireless network, 1 won't connect but can connect by itself when the network is insecure (although not entirely sure it can't connect to a secure network). As soon as one of the other computers starts surfing the net the network seems to break although if they all just sit there connected with no action then they seem to be ok.

Thanks.

Just to add - here is some extra information I have posted in reply to questions asked on other forums:

Router is out in the open - The problem computer gets a full signal.

Router configuration - Not entirely sure what setting to look at on the configuration page although it only seems to be the problem computer that has any difficulty, and if it does connect then it's fine until one of the other computers make some kind of movement on the internet such as loading up a web page, and then the whole network just disappears til it is restarted.

The problem seems to occur only when someone from another computer starts surfing the internet after they have connected. What happens in this period of time which could cause this? I'm thinking some kind of conflict but I don't know enough about networking to solve the problem.

As for the router details - Model No. WAG54G

The fact that this computer was bought off of ebay, it's beeping and you can't install SP2 makes me think that this is casueing all the issues. You did not say what type of security you were using?

If you are using WEP, disable that and configre the router to authenticate by MAC address, add all the mac addresses to the router. This way only the computers specify will be able to connect.

This is not the solution to whatever your issue is, but try this to see if it is a issue with the computers handling WEP. I also have run into problems with mixingLinksys and belkin. The end result was both of the companies support told me to buy all of the same brand (really, thats what they said)

Also, check out the event logs on the computers, if somthing is wrong on the network, it is most likely being logged in event viewer. Check out hte logs and post the errors here or just get on google and do a lil research. :)

Hope this helps,

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom