One computer on network not connecting to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASA22

Baseband Member
Hello everyone. I'm hoping that you can help me with an issue that I am having.

I have a home network with quite a few wireless devices (laptops, iPods, etc.) and one wired device (my desktop). Recently the desktop has not been able to connect to the internet. When I go into the network and sharing center it indicates that I am connected to the network with internet but when I try to open a webpage either nothing happens and it just says loading or the page loads painfully slow. I am running windows 7 and have tried both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

I tried doing a system restore and installing the latest network drivers with no success.

I really am stumped because the other devices seem to be working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance.

The first step is checking if you have an IP address.. Open the CMD prompt and do an IP CONFIG.. Then do a ping to your main router and see if you can get a reply back. Let us know how the results go.

Thank you for the help lasvegascomputer.

I pinged the router. It says:

Packets: Sent=4, Received =4, Lost=0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
Minimum=1ms, Maximum=1ms, Average=1ms

Thanks again for your help.

That means it has a connection to the router...

Now try ping Google, do you get a reply?

If that doesn't work try pinging 8.8.8.8 and see if you get a reply from that.. If you can PING 8.8.8.8 but NOT Google then its a DNS issue.. Let me know the results.

When I tried to ping Google it said that it could not find the host.

I was able to ping 8.8.8.8 with an average time of 36ms.

So does that mean that it is a DNS issue? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thank you once again for all of your help.

Edit:
The first time I tried to ping Google I just did ping Google and got no response. I tried again but this time did ping www.Google.com and received 3 of the 4 packets sent with an average time of 511ms.

If you can ping Google.com like you just said Internet Explorer should be able to load it.. However you still had packet loss and to troubleshoot that lets try the following:

Open up a command prompt and type ping google.com -t

Open a second command prompt and type ping 192.168.1.1 -t *whatever your routers IP address it*

Open up a third command prompt and type nslookup; push enter; type facebook.com and hit enter.. this will make your DNS server verify the IP. Try other sites like Google.com Myspace.com etc.

I had this issue a month back with a clients new Windows 7 Dell PC.. First I downloaded the latest driver from Dells website with no luck.. Had to do Windows update and it found a new driver and fixed the issue.

When you installed the card did you use the CD that came with the box or latest version online? See if Windows updates works too check under options maybe there is an update for your card.

When I did nslookup for Facebook.com the DNS request timed out twice before giving a "Non-authoritative answer". I'm not really sure what else I should look form here.

I built the computer myself with a Gigabyte motherboard. I installed the latest network driver from Gigabyte's website via a flash drive from another computer. No luck with that.

I did Windows update but the only one available was something for Windows Defender. I installed it but it didn't help.

I can get to websites but they load very slow (some more than others). This just started happening recently and there are no problems with other devices on the network. That is why I'm so confused. I did a security scan with Avast but it didn't find anything.

Thank you once again for all of your help!

NASA22,

Did you download the CHIPSET drivers for the Gigabyte motherboard? How about do a Google search with your MOBO name and type "network issues" at the end and see if anything comes up.

Lets try this:

1. Open the CMD prompt and type ipconfig /release
2. Then type ipconfig /flushdns
3. Then type ipconfig /renew
4. Then type ipconfig /registerdns
5. Verify no other computers on the network are having this issue.

6. This is important, type PING "ROUTER IP" -t and let me know what your packet loss is to your router.
7. Verify you have downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.
8. Check the advanced properties of the NIC card, verify that everything is set to DHCP/Automatic
9. Go into your advanced settings on the NIC card, check to see if it automatically detects the link speed.. Is your router gigabit or 100MB? Try settings it manually to match your routers speed.. Also can we verify that the network cable isn't bad?
10. If all that looks normal you may have a faulty NIC on your motherboard.. That would suck but lets see what these results tell us.

Thanks again lasvegascomputer. I really appreciate your help.

I will try those things when I get home tonight.

How do I get into the advanced properties of the NIC card?

Also how exactly should I type in "PING ROUTER IP"? Are the quotation marks and capital letters necessary?

What about the spaces around the -t?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom