One computer accessing shared files but other doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazey

Beta member
I have set up a wireless network betweeen my computer and my son's computer but he cannot access my shared files but i can access his shared files.

We get a message which states

"\\<computer name> is not accessble. you might not have permissions to use this network resource.Contact admimistrator of server to find out if you have access permissions Access denied"

i have disabled both the windows firewall and norton firewall and i am still experiencing the same problem with the same message appearing. They are both the same workgroup and i have activated file sharing for documents ion both computers

i cannot understand why my network is accessing files one way but not the other

Can anyone help please. i am new to all this

add a user to the computer that you are trying to access shared files from. the username should be the same (with same password) as the user that is logged into the computer trying to access files.

ihave done everthing that has been suggested when i try to get shared folder i get this
when i browse to add network place i click +microsoft windows network then i can see the workgroup then both computer names can access my own shared files but not the sjhared on my sons computer.

i have tried numerous fixes a above but we still cant access each others files or my son cant share internet or printers.

Could someone please help as i am pulling my hair out.

By the way thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Same problem here

I am having this very same problem, and have tried all suggestions here and many others

I believe the problem to be deeper than the "user" or "firewall" issue, maybe a permission or something.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

mre30 said:
what os are you running

Windows XP Pro with SP2.

We were having the problem before we updated to SP2, and firewall on or off, makes no difference.

I am thinking there is some sort of user permission or control setting that I am missing

are you able to ping the computer from there and when you goto connect to the other computer does it bring up a username and password box

yes, I can ping all the other PC's, and they can ping me.

no there is no username/ password box, and there never has been.

This was just something that happened one day, as it all used to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom