Onboard vs. PCI Networking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Which would be better to use? I found an OLD Intel Pro 10/100 LAN PCI card. And my motherboard has onboard Realtek LAN. Which am I better off with?

You will see no difference in speed if both cards are running at the same transfer rates. So say your onboard is 10/100 and your PCI card is 10/100 no one of those is superior over the other.

If your onboard though is 10/100/1000 I would go with that since you will have gigabit capabilites if you ever decided to implemenet it :)

I didn't mean it like that. What I meant is, will onboard lan use more CPU resources than a PCI? I heard that onboard devices lag on system resources more than PCI devices, because PCI devices do the processing themselves.

I also heard that PCI is usually more stable than onboard.

Win2kpatcher said:
You will see no difference in speed if both cards are running at the same transfer rates. So say your onboard is 10/100 and your PCI card is 10/100 no one of those is superior over the other.

If your onboard though is 10/100/1000 I would go with that since you will have gigabit capabilites if you ever decided to implemenet it :)

This is wrong.

The intel network card probolly does all TCP sum calculations and everything, meaning lower CPU usage.

The Intel will also be faster (80 meg roughly) compared to the realtek (20 meg roughly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom