Onboard Lan not working at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hoping someone can help me out. I've got a Asus p4s8x motherboard with an onboard lan built onto it. This is my friends PC, he had a worm on the bootsector of his harddisk and I had to totally wipe everything and reinstall his OS. Everything is up and smooth now except I absolutely cannot get the dang onboard lan card to work. It keeps telling me I have a cable unplugged, bu t the device shows up as working properly. I checked the BIOS, I have the onboard device turned on. Even the little light on the lan won't come on. I'm going nuts, I'm starting to think it's just shot. I uninstalled the drivers and manually installed the drivers for the lan card that were downloaded right from Asus. Same problem. I suppose I can just disable it in the BIOS and have my friend buy a cheap NIC card, but it seems a waste if I'm just doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

OS is Windows XP Pro with SP1

Throwing in a seperate NIC card I was able to connect to the net without any problem.

I had something similar happen once. One day, completely out of the blue, my NIC stopped working, I had to buy another one.

Yep, shows up in device manager as working properly. The LED light isn't coming on and it just keeps saying I have a network cable unplugged. It was being used two days ago before my friend got the worm, so I'm not sure if it died or it's something else.

highly possible that it has just had its "time".

when you switched from your friends house, installing os over again, reformatting, that does alot of load on a motherboard.

typically those types of devices last 2-4 years. I had a modem that BLEW OUT the other day on me. So if light isn't even turning on,....then....

I agree. And the MOBO is probably 4-5 years old already, I'm just turning off the lan device in the BIOS and he can have my old NIC card. Those things are cheap anyway, so I guess if something had to die that was a good thing to go! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom