Old PC internet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indelcio

Beta member
My grandparent's computer has been suffering difficulty with its dial-up internet connection. When McAfee finishes updating, the computer automatically disconnects from the internet. Additionally, the net connection randomly cuts out even when it's being kept active. And, on a side note, it's been running slower as well.

Windows 98
4xx mhz processor
192 MB RAM
Integrated graphics
Integrated sound

Spyware, Adware, and Virus scans return nothing.

Any ideas?

Yea, the problem is dial-up sucks. You may experience even slower or disconnected connection when someone calls you or at peak time when the server that you dial to connect to your ISP is busy. I guess the only cure is to get rid of that old dial-up connection and go with something else, depending where you live it be a better choice to go with broadband connection like DSL and Cable.

*Try and choose another phone # to dial for your dial-up connection, maybe you can connect to a server that isn't fully loaded.

Dial up is the worst... I wouldnt even consider useing a computer on a dial up connection no more it is pointless...

If the computer has been on idle for a while then turns off, it could be set to disconnect after a certain time of inactivity. I had the same problem with dial-up If this is the case then you change it in the properties for the internet connection. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom