Status
Not open for further replies.

roumieh2000

Baseband Member
75-year-old likely set Internet speed record :confused:
Her fiber-optic connection could be world's fastest home uplink

By Louise Nordstrom
Updated: 1:46 p.m. ET July 18, 2007

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed.

Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer —many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

75-year-old likely set Internet speed record - Online World - MSNBC.com

Attachments

• snabbt.jpg
    snabbt.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 169
What they neglect to mention is that this kind of speed is useless for home users as basically no websites are going to be able to keep up. Heck my cable connection tops out at 10mb but i never get that kind of speed from any downloads due to 99% of websites not allowing it.

Not to mention this is old news, and that it requires well over 150K of equipment, not to mention using "dark" fiber, of course this is a HOME connection doesnt even come close to taiwan which has the fastest connection

Id rather have direct access to the VGA/ps/2/audio and PSU cable just in case i get a new keyboard, mouse,monitor,or power supply, not to mention the advantage of having the RJ-45 ready for direct access

Id rather have direct access to the VGA/ps/2/audio and PSU cable just in case i get a new keyboard, mouse,monitor,or power supply, not to mention the advantage of having the RJ-45 ready for direct access

thats a really big sig.. you might wanna fix it?

anyways...

she's not gonna use half of that speed... the gamer will use 6x more of that Internet Speed than she ever will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom