Ok, having a problem with my internet speeds on my new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinging Google works though.

So your Internet is working, but it is still slow...

Go to Speakeasy - Speed Test and test your speed on a couple of those servers. Tell us your speeds after you run the tests.

Also have you ensured there are not virus or spyware programs running that may be eating up your bandwidth?

Chicago:

2871 download
493 upload

San Francisco:

2254 download
460 upload

New York:

1404 download
435 upload

I just built this pc, so I shouldn't have any virus or spyware on it. The mobo came with 90 days of Norton, so I've got that running, but I'll get AVG before that's up.

Remove Norton and put on AVG now. Norton has been known to limit internet speed before. It is not that good of a program...;)

WOAH! you never said you had norton installed! :)
Mak's most definitely right there. Kill it. Kill it now.

In fact even if you disabled it for testing purposes, it's usually not enough. Norton has a habit of telling you it's stopped when it hasn't...sneaky.

I uninstalled Norton, and installed AVG after dling it from there website. It was weird, because when you click download now, it redirects you to download.com to download, but if you go over to the installation files tab, you can dl it right from avg.com. Anyway, the first time I did it from download.com, and it said it was corrupted, so I dled it again from the avg.com hosting. It worked, but after it installed and went to update, it couldn't.

Then I found out that I couldn't use my web browsers anymore. They just said connection interrupted. My Dawn of War 2 does not work online because I can't sign in to GFWL. Lord of the Rings Online doesn't work. Call of Duty 5 works, and so does #4, but when I went to turn it on all the controls got reset as well as the resolution. I did that hack where you use that one cdkey to get lvl 55 because I lost my data in a format on the old computer. I when I opened regedit, I found the key used in the hack to be back on the game instead of my key because it obviously said key in use when I tried to join a server. I changed the key back, and I could join servers. There were no problems with Cod5. Xfire works, along with ventrilo and teamspeak. I think steam sorta works because I can sign on to it, but the tabs with the internet pages on them don't display.

I tried plugging my powerline adapters back in, but stuff still didn't work. I tried disabling my wireless card in device manager while the powerline adapters were connected, but it still didn't work. I tried using the browsers with windows fire wall disabled, then AVG disabled. Nothing works.

Just in case it means anything, I have noticed that my wireless card is picking up two other wireless sources, but I am only connected to mine.

When I go to the network tab, it says I am connected to the access point and the internet. This is obviously true because some net applications work, while others are not. Btw, I did reset my network adapter my going to wireless connectivity status and diagnose. This didn't help. I just tried doing a windows update. These files could not be dled either.

Does anyone know why this has happened? Right now I'm using my former computer for this website. The computer in question is running 64 bit Vista.

can you connect without using the wirless at all? I'd want to rule out any other possible factors, and if the wired connection works then a LOT of stuff can be ruled out. Even if it doesn't work, that also will provide some more info.

The powerline wired works, but I am limitted the same as with the wireless. Both of these used to work with everything, so I don't know why they don't all of a sudden. I even tried changing the network type from public to private because it said some applications won't work on public. It didn't make a difference.

Edit: Would a system restore fix this?

It was avg. I uninstalled it, and I got my fully functioning net again. Before we get back onto the subject of my speeds, I'd like to solve this issue. I got some windows updates and then reinstalled it, but the same thing happened. The version I dled is 8.5.278. Is there a newer version or something I could get? Right now I am kinda unprotected.

First step would prolly be to have yourself a browse-thru of the avg settings. Try disabling avg and see if the problem goes. If it does, turn as many settings off as you can in avg and try again. then turn one on, then two, etc.

AVG DL

If that don't work, try downloading avg again. I just got avg from that like thar, installed it and it seems to work fine to me. Mebbe you got a corrupted install/download from the avg site. nehuz, prolly woth trying the download.com link again.

Ok, I got my net working mostly by getting rid of that link scanners stuff, but it still can't update itself, and it is screwing up pbsetup. :(

I disabled like everything I could and this was still happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom