Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I just built this new pc:

intel cor i7 920 @ 2.66 ghz
gtx 285
6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ram
ASUS P6T x58 mobo

At first, I was connecting to the internet with powerline adapters because the linksys wireless G wireless cards I had were incompatible with vista. My stream speeds weren't good, so I had to wait for stuff to buffer all the time, and my download speeds were crap (like 50 kbps).

As a result, I went and bought this: Newegg.com - EDIMAX EW-7728In IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 32bit PCI Wireless 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI Card Up to 300Mbps Data Rates WEP 64/128, WPA, WPA2
Cisco CCX V1.0, V2.0 & V3.0 Compliance - Wireless Adapters

My router is a WRT54G. I don't know why my speeds are still slow. I can stream without any waiting time at all on my old computer that was using wireless. Heck, I don't even have to wait for buffering on my ps3, even though it downloads stuff slow too. The old pc dls at speeds it should though, like 500-700 kbps.

Any solutions? I'm assuming all my drivers are installed because I used all the discs, and there are no yellow ! in the device manager.

Have you installed all needed drivers for the wireless adaptor? Check in the Device Manager for it, and any devices categorised by a yellow question mark.

Yeah, I installed the drivers that came with the cd, and there is no yellow question mark.

Go to network connections and disable all connections other than the one(s) you're using. Might be conflicted somehow :hmm:
Other than that it's outta my league.

There is only one network signal I am getting. There is nothing from like a neighbor or anything.

Is it just to the internets that you get bad speeds? What kind of delay do you get if you ping your router from the wireless pc? If you ping google?

Type cmd in the run start->run line
That will bring up the command prompt
Type without the quotes "ping 192.168.1.1" (replacing the IP with whatever IP your router is)
If you don't know what your router IP is then type "ipconfig/all" (without the quotes)
You'll see a default gateway - this is the IP of your router, now go back and follow line three above
To ping google just type "ping www.google.com"

If you are typing these ping commands and getting an error message saying an elevated something is required, you'll need to create a custom rule to allow ping commands.

To do this you need to go to your control pannel, then admin tools. Then double click Windows firewall. This brings up a new window.

On the left side click outbound security rules
Now on the right you see new rule - click that
Click custom rule then next
Click all programs then next
Choose ICMPv4 from the dropdown, then click customize
Click the Specific ICMP types and select Echo request
Click okay, then next
Then click next again
Allow the connection, then click next
CLick next again
Now name it and click finished

I believe that will allow you to use the ping command.

router:
min=1
max=2
av=1

google:
min=22
max=64
av=32

4 packets sent, 4 packets received, 0 packets lost on both

so regular browsing is fine, but whenever you download or try to stream anything significant it dies?

(also btw lex, for future reference don't ping the www part)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom